Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltongardener

Eden climbing beans

hamiltongardener
15 years ago

Can anyone tell me anything about Eden climbing beans?

I picked up the seedlings from an Italian grower near me and it seems to be a favourite of his. The tags are in Italian and they are labeled "Fagioli Rampicanti Eden".

Has anyone grown them? Can you give any opinions?

Comments (10)

• jimster
    15 years ago

Sounds interesting. You have the translation right. fagioli = beans, rampicanti = climbing, Eden = the variety name.

If they are a favorite of the guy you bought them from that's a good recommendation. Check in with progress reports, with photos if possible.

Jim

• hamiltongardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh good..someone who can read Italian. He told me they were Eden climbing beans but I didn't realize that was a literal translation. I kind of thought it was some sort of classification.

I can't seem to find much on these beans except a small description from Thompson Morgan seeds. I will try to have updates on the beans and a recommendation later on in the season. It looks like they should be ready for picking starting about mid-July.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

There is a "Garden of Eden" pole bean vended by lots of folks including Johnny's. A flat Romano type about 6 inches in lenght. Lots of good reviews.

• hamiltongardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update on these beans:

They grew, and grew, and grew. I had vines well over the fence and vines off those vines and vines off THOSE vines.

But they produced NO beans...not even a single flower. I grew bush beans in the same bed and they produced well, so I don't think it's too much nitrogen or anything like that.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

You know, I've had the same problem in one of my gardens. I can't get pole beans to produce; or if they do, it's VERY late in the year. But bush beans will produce there. I don't understand it. Have you had success in that location with any other pole bean?

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• P POD
    15 years ago

Could it be that your Eden pole bean is daylength sensitive, so it will set flowers and pods whenever days and nights are approximately equally long, like around equinox?

Check for flowers around September 22.

I see on your page that you're in Canada, so you probably have very long days and short nights in summer. Your nights may even be on the light side (as opposed to being pitch black).

• hamiltongardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't understand it. Have you had success in that location with any other pole bean?

I did last year, but it wasn't a good producer. Not compared to the bush beans anyway. But these ones didn't even flower. Maybe just the year.

• hamiltongardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see on your page that you're in Canada, so you probably have very long days and short nights in summer. Your nights may even be on the light side (as opposed to being pitch black).

Someone would have to be pretty far north for that to happen...I doubt they'd be able to grow pole beans near the arctic circle. As it happens, I'm in Southern Ontario so not that far from where you are. If you're able to do it, I should be able to grow them too. Same amount of sunlight.

So I'm still stumped as to what happened.

• P POD
    15 years ago

I said: I see on your page that you're in Canada, so you probably have very long days and short nights in summer. Your nights may even be on the light side (as opposed to being pitch black).

Hamiltongardener replied: Someone would have to be pretty far north for that to happen...I doubt they'd be able to grow pole beans near the arctic circle.

The Artic Circle! C'on. In summer, Scandinavian countries enjoy long days and short nights, plus nights for three months that are very light. The nights are not so light that one can see colors, but one can easily see one's way around. Scandinavian gardeners grow beans and other vegetables just like we do here. You don't have to be in the artic to have long days and short nights, plus light nights from May to August. Maybe you were thinking of nights where the sun does not dip below the hotrizon, but that's not what I described.

Hope this helps to clarify....

Anyway, you asked for ideas for why your bean failed to boom, and I suggested that maybe the bean is daylength sensitive.

• hamiltongardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, the Arctic Circle runs right through the Scandinavian countries. I lived in northern Alberta and never witnessed light nights there. You'd have to live a lot closer to the Arctic Circle to witness something like that.

Either way, I will wait out the beans (no frost to kill them yet) but I'm not holding out much hope for any blooms now.