Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Snaps not blooming

Posted by ziyakr 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 17:49

Hi, probably a dumb question (but just read 10 pages of posts w/out finding an answer) and am hoping some of you will have ideas. I planted sugar snap peas for the first time this spring. They are in 11 gallon tubs, planted the last week of march, 4 to 5 plants per tub. The plants look really really healthy, came up fast, green green leaves, lots of tendrils and already as tall as the seed pack said they would get. I have some supports in place that they seems uninterested in, though I keep moving them back to the supports and trying to help them wind.

So, all that said, I still haven't seen a single flower or pod. I don't know what I've done wrong, as the plants seem really happy, get lots of water and sun and the temps here haven't gotten to 85 yet. Any thoughts? I had hoped to plant more as a fall crop in a few months but without pods they are really just interesting plants...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Snaps not blooming

Patience. Sugar Snap has a fairly long DTM and if you planted in March should be a June bearer. If your plants are healthy you should be on schedule. Nitrogen will retard bloom so make sure you are not adding any nitogen sources to your potting soil. Phosphate will enhance blooming so you could use something like Bloom Booster in a pinch but I think you will be fine.

o
RE: Sugar Snaps not blooming

Thanks...definately a lack of patience on my part. Came home from work tuesday to find lots of blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here