Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sieva/Carolina Lima/ButterBean

Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 18:03

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked my first Butter Beans. I purchase the Sieva butter bean seed thinking I had a pole variety. But they turned out to be a bush. That taught me not to assume, check things out more thoughly.

My Butter Beans

photo 20130517_3_zps30893363.jpg

Plan on giving them a taste test tonight.

Luther

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sieva/Carolina Lima/ButterBean

Beautiful! You are hereby entitled to strut and gloat a bit. Those lovely beans are drool bait for sure..

o

If they are bush, they are not Sieva/Carolina. Sieva is a pole lima and a white one. Your photo looks like a green tinted lima. Sieva has been very difficult to find the past two years.
Carolina photo Carolina1.jpg

o

I have not ever heard of a bush Sieva
Could they be Henderson or Thorogreen
Nice crop what ever they are,
I planted a pack this year and only one came up and it looks like a willow leaf
Charlie

o

I think the reason for the short supply is that the commercial growers have switched to Mezcla because of its resitance to nematodes which have plagued Sieva production
Charlie

o

Luther!
I am so jealous - those look so tasty! Our weather has been so weird that all my beans are late... I finally have some limas up and vining up the trellis, but it's kind of pitifulll.

On a side note, I now know where Titusville is! Stayed overnight last month on a quick trip to FL. We went to Merritt Island for the wildlife refuge. I didn't realize you lived there!

Cindy

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 8:58

sweetquitplace, thank you for your kind comment. It is appreciated.

farmerdill, I agree with you. I ordered the seed from richfarmgarden.com. sieve or Carolina butter bean was what they were called. So I thought I had found the pole sieve. But I don't know for sure what they are. They are more of a white butter bean even tho in the picture they have a greenish look.

Charlie, as I stated above I don't know what type of bean it is but it sure taste good.

Cindy, It is good to hear from you. Glad you know where Titusville is located. I have been here since 1965 and retired from the space center.

Happy Gardening to Everyone,
Luther

o

Sat, May 18, 13 at 9:58

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of my cowpeas in my back yard. I have raised beds and the Nematodes make it almost impossible to raise a garden. This is about 1/2 of my garden size. It is really amazing how much you can grow in a small space. In our location we can grow crops year around.

My Cowpeas

photo 20130518_4_zpsffe7ec01.jpg

Luther

o

Gret job
You have peas already and mine are just now coming up
I had a bad problem with nematodes a few years ago and I plowed in a couple of 5 gallon containers of a product made from crab and shrimp shells that was produced near here.
In the fall I planted kale,vetch and rape and turned it under
So far I do not have a problem
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Sat, May 18, 13 at 11:27

o

Sat, May 18, 13 at 12:29

Charlie, we can't buy anything to treat our soil for the nematodes. So it is a big problem for us in this climate.

Did you try the Mezcla pole bean? If so, how did it compare to the taste of the sieve bean? I read where they crossed the Henderson with the Hopi and came up with the Mezcla variety.

Luther

o

Luther,last year was the first year that I planted Mezcla and only picked a few to eat
These were thrown in the same pot with others
I saved the others for seed
I have aout a dozen seeds left from this years planting,if you want to try them
I take you have an organic garden and hesitate in using the crab shell product
I think it is wholly organic and note that Neptune's Harvest now have a like product listed on their web site
Charlie

o

Farmerdill, any chance you (or anyone else) have some seed of Carolina Sieva to spare? I will grow them and send seed to Sandhill Preservation. This is one variety that I would like to see in Glenn's inventory.

DarJones

o

No> I am growing Mezcla at the moment. I have noted several sources of Carolina?Sieva however. http://www.monticelloshop.org/631086.html http://compare.ebay.com/like/140970724829?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar I did find a small vendor who was selling a family heirloom version of the Sieva and posted it in a forum somewhere but I can't find it right now.

o

Sun, May 19, 13 at 11:05

Hello Everyone,

farmerdill those whatever beans turned out to be a green tint when cooked. The taste was out of this world and I will keep seed for a bush bean. Let us all know the taste of the Mezcla in comparson to the Sieva

My friend Harry saw this post and is going to send me some Sieve seed to give me a start. Hope to grow enough seed this fall that I can share.

Picked the last of my green beans this morning before it got hot.

My Jade Green Beans

photo 20130519_2_zpsdefa4cef.jpg

My neighbors are going to enjoy these along with other vegetables.

Luther

o

I found the other source. This is actually a family heirloom (Griggs) but descended from the Sieva.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavenly Seed

o

SC crop improvement has them also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson

o

Mon, May 20, 13 at 14:56

Thanks everyone for all the great information.

Here is a picture of some other Beans. The pole Harry Black Jungle Butter Bean and the bush Thorogreen Lima. These were planted where I had some of my winter vegetables and are later than the other beans.

HBJBB & Thorogreen Limas

photo 20130520_3_zpsdbeee69f.jpg

Luther

o

Tue, May 21, 13 at 12:57

Hello Everyone,

Harry gave me some Shelly bean seed to try. They are called Tarka Shelly Bean. So today we are having them for supper.

Tarka Shelly Bean

photo 20130521_2_zpsb7cb3bd0.jpg

Happy Gardening To Everyone,
Luther

o

Just you wait! Another three months and we'll be sending you luscious, mouthwatering pictures.

o

Be sure to update us on the taste Luther! They look Delicious!

o

Luther, the beans were labeled giant red tarka by the gardener that sent them to me. Your row of BJBBs look much better that any I ever grew and that is saying a lot because I've been growing them since 1995. If they produce like the 18 plants I had last year you are going to get tired picking them. They really like this SE corner of Texas. I have so many put away I'm not growing any this year.
Harry

o

Wed, May 22, 13 at 15:00

sweetsquietplace, In three months you will have some of the best grown vegetables In the USA. Your area soil produces some of the best tasting vegetables grown.

Ted, they are very good. They are keepers and I will keep the rest of them for seed. Will share with others.

Thanks for the correct identification of them Harry. Yes, I should have an ample supply of BJBB. My neighbors will enjoy the supplus.

Luther

o

Fusion, I still have a fair amount of "Sieva", if you are still interested. (Had I known, I could have included them with the cowpeas I sent earlier.) I hope Glen adds "Sieva" to his collection; it's strange - and alarming - how scarce it has been the last two years.

"Giant Red Tarka" is a great shelly bean, especially for short-season areas where limas are a challenge. The beans develop even deeper color if harvested when the pods begin to yellow.

photo GardenPictures212.jpg

o

I am doing a large growout of the Sieva for SESE and Heavenly seed so they should have them for 2014. Dar, I would offer you some but with the growout I have about planted all my seed stock. But if it doesnt' work out with Zeedman I can send you some this fall. I am also regrowing the Corky bean, ended up with one plant from the seed you sent me but I have a good pint of fresh seed to start with this year and will send you some some of those to give you some fresh seed stock. Rodger

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 10:54

Seedman, thanks for the info on the "Giant Red Tarka". A beautiful picture of them. Now I know what they look like fully developed.

All you guys are doing a great service putting the Sieva pole bean but in circulation.

Also have the pole lima Whitfield Butter Pea growing that I got from Heavenlyseed. Have any of you grown this bean?

Luther

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:58

Hello Everyone,

Here is a picture of the Whitfield Pole Butter Pea Lima. They will be ready to harvest soon. Can't wait to see what they taste like. I'm sure they gonna be good.

Whitfield Butter Pea Lima

photo 20130523_5_zpsc1ccf8dd.jpg

Luther

o

I was the grower of the whitfield Butter Peas for Mike at Heavenly Seed. There are very few pole Butter peas and Mike Watkins at Heavenly seed is the only seller I know. I have grown two pole butter peas for Mike, the Whitfield and a calico Butterpea from Ala. I am on the look out for a Red Pole Butterpea that at one time was fairly common in SC based on stories I have been told. But I have yet to find any. The flavor is great and it does take more to make a mess of beans since most pods only contain 2-3 small seed. I have never been able to make more than two pickings on the whitfield One in Aug the second in earlier Oct but the frost always gets the third. Most other Limas I am able to get three pickings in. But compared to bush Butter peas the production is more than double and even though it takes more work to put up poles my back appreciates picking the pole type beans. Rodger

o

Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:03

Roger, thanks for the information on the bean. It was one of your post that gave me the info for the purchase of the seed. Ordered several different types that are not available elsewhere.

Today I picked my 1st mess of cowpeas. I plan on a southern meal of peas, stir fried okra, cornbread and ice tea. Along with some grilled pork chops.

My Cowpeas

photo 20130524_2_zpsdedc8c15.jpg

Luther

o

I have been growing a pole white and a red butterpea for a number of years I do not think they had the willow type leaves like Luthers
They were not as productive as the bush Dixie White and the Dixie Speckled Butterpea
Charlie

o

Harry - can you save me some of the Giant Red Tarka? That looks delicious!

I come here and see all these photos... Now I am starving!

Cindy

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 13:17

Cindy, If Harry don't have any I will share some of my seed with you. It will be this fall before mine are dry.

Ted, will save you some also. Next year you will be able to grow your own seed. Don't know how many I will make from twenty plants.

Picked 2 five gallon buckets of the "Top Pick Pinkeye Pea"
today for my freezer. Also some dry ones for seed.

Luther

o

I finally got my Sieva's in the ground Monday. It has been too wet in my garden to plant, actually it was still to wet. I'm hoping I can break up the bricks I made after they dry.

It's my first time growing them. I hope they do well enough to share seeds with y'all.

I gave away they last of my Hercules peas to a co-worker this morning, except for a big handful just in case something happens to the ones I planted. Three 50' rows!

I was talking with another co-worker that I gave seeds to last year. After that co-worker said "They are like boiled peanuts sitting in the fridge. Every time I go by the fridge I have to stop and eat some". He wanted some to plant too!

Everyone loves them at work.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 21:34

Ted, I hope you have a very successful Sieva crop. We need to get them back in circulation.

I purchase some of your Hercules Pea seed from Clemson. I will give them a try during the summer months.

Luther

o

I hope you like them Luther! I have never heard of anyone not liking them!

But taste buds do vary!

Good luck and thanks for the well wishes on my Sieva crop.

I think anyone can grow Hercules without problems, if you drop a seed in the yard it will grow!

And they don't seem to have much disease or bug problems.

Deer love them though!

I am watering the Sieva and Hercules peas now. It has been too wet to plant and now there is no rain in the forecast!

Oh well, I need to use the 1,000 gallons of public water that I'm paying for this month anyway. I use my well, for the better taste, the public water is a backup and it's use it or loose it!

o

Zeedman, I received the seed yesterday and soaked them in water overnight, then planted them this morning as the sun was rising.

Much thanks!

DarJones

o

Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 15:21

Hello Everyone,

Have a question concerning the name of the green Henderson lima as some call it. Are they any difference in the Thorogreen Lima and the Cangreen Lima?

My Baby Lima

photo 20130605_5_zpsb7bf37b0.jpg

Happy Gardening Everyone.

Luther

o

Thorogreen is a selection of the old Henderson's Green Seeded released in 1941. I have no information on Cangreen. Most vendors sell Thorogreen and Cangreen interchangable. I have grown them under both names and I can't tell any difference. Perhaps earlier when they were commercial varieties there was more difference.

o

Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 8:22

farmerdill, thanks for the information on the Thorogreen and Cangreen Lima. I have also grown both and I couldn't tell any difference.

Here is a picture of Harry's Black Jungle Butter Beans. While picking the Thorogreen Lima I noticed they were ready to pick. I discovered I should have picked them several days earlier as about half of them were dry. The leaves had them all covered and the beans were not visible.

HBJBB

photo 20130606_5_zps4e2d57b9.jpg

Luther

o

Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 13:21

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked some Pole Whitfield Butter Pea Lima Beans. They are a very prolific small bean. They shell out a plump bean and up to 4 to a hull. I'm saving all the 4 to a hull for seed. I'm hoping that it will make a difference in future plantings. They are part of todays menu.

My Butter Peas

photo 20130608_4_zps6c32d79e.jpg

Happy Gardening to Everyone,
Luther

o

My sieva are up, 3" tall, but not a good stand.

I was wrong about the rain forecast, a monsoon started and I think it may have washed in too much dirt on them before they came up so more may be popping through later if they didn't rot.

I want to go out there and scratch around but it is so wet that I would do more damage than good probably. I sink up to my ankles as soon as I step in the garden!

We don't even want to talk about the weeds.......

The Hercules and blue lake runners look good though. They are on higher ground.

o

Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 20:23

Ted, I hope you get a good stand of Sieva beans. I could use some of your rain but not that much. I'm having to water every few days. Our temperature today was 95 at my place. The water don't last long with the wind blowing strong.

Planted some Hercules Peas this week. Having to water to get them to germinate. Also other cowpeas I planted where I had other crops that had phased out.

Luther

o

Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 14:16

Hello Everyone,

I grew a few pole calico butter pea lima for seed. Did a taste test today and they are very good. In fact I liked them better than the Whitfield pole white butter pea. Have enough seed now to plant a amply supply for my freezer. They are very prolific and a plump pea.

A comparison of size

photo 20130620_2_zps004a19fc.jpg

All my Lima/ButterBeans have about phased out due to the season and heat. Have replaced most spring crops with other summer vegetables such as cowpeas.

Luther

o

Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:19

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you use Azomite in your gardens? I have raised beds and make my own soil. Also this Florida soil don't have the elements that other areas have. For me to make certain vegetables I have to add all the trace elements.

Ted I have a few Giant Red Tarka Shelly seed dry. if you would like some seed send me your mailing address.

Luther

o

OK! I'll send you something in return, but it will be later in the season before I have anything.

Thanks Luther!

o

Luther,I believe it would be cheaper to get a soil test and spread only what is recomended
Azomite contains heavy metals and other elements you may not want in your soil
i have used a lot of chelated minerals, dolomite,basic slag and small amounts of borax at the recomendation of our County Agent
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:07

o

Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 15:13

Charlie, thanks for the information. I always add dolomite and a time release fertilizer with trace elements to my soil mixture.

Ted, I can only plant cowpeas at this time. It will be the 1st of September before I can plant pole beans or lima/butterbeans. The blossoms will not set until the weather cools off from the summer heat. Your seed will be in the mail tomorrow.

I think today is the first day of summer. Also I think it is the longest day of the year. I'm not sure of anything any more.

Luther

o

Got the seed yesterday Luther, Thanks! I will plant them in mid July.

o

Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:00

Hello Everyone,

I picked my 1st mess of Jackson Butter Beans today. I always shell my beans by hand and in that way I get the good baby beans which I prefer. This is the last of my spring lima/butterbeans. Have planted summer crops consisting of 4 types of cowpeas.

My Jackson Wonder Butter Beans

photo 20130625_1_zps0f31860f.jpg

Happy gardening to everyone,

Luther

o

Luther I am glad you are getting BBs before the heat set in
My Jacson Wonders are laying in mud as well as other bush beans
It has been in the high 90's here the last couple of days and doubt I will get many BBs until it cools off some
Some have set on NORTH POLE,BJBB and FLORIDA SPECKLED,however pickings look slim
Ted does SIEVA have willow leaves like Luther's WHITFIELD BUTTER PEA
If so I believe the seeds I got in a trade labeled CAROLINA SIEVA may be true
Charlie

o

Yes Charlie, the ones I planted have that type of leaves. It is my first time planting them.

This post was edited by wertach on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 13:06

o

Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:16

Charlie, they only took 65 days to make. That is fast but we have had real warm weather since I planted them. But we didn't have the real hot weather when they put on blossoms. I keep a record on all vegetables I plant and when they make. Especially when I'm planting new types of vegetables and need info from year to year.

Luther

o

Thanks Ted
I will be keeping a close eye on them
Luther it looks like we will have to do as some of the others here and plant in pots then set out as soon as the frosts have ended and also plant for a fall crop
We had a late frost period this year that set us back two weeks and now it is too hot
I wonder how the bean growers in Idaho and western Washigton produce so many dry beans as I heard today the temps there was around 117 degrees
Charlie

o

My Carolina Sieva plants have 4 ft runners and have started blooming. They are doing fine with the heat and dry weather.

DarJones

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 8:22

Dar, that is some good news. We all are waiting on your results. Hopefully folks like you can put the Sieva bean back in circulation.

Does anyone know if the Mezcla bean will make in the summer heat? It would be nice if we had a bean that would make in the summer like the cowpeas.

My wife cooked the Christmas lima with fresh corn cut off the cob and the taste was out of this world. She mixed it about a 2 to 1 ratio cutting the kernels off the cob then scrapping the cob. It would also be good with BJBB. Will give it a try.

Luther

o

Dar, mine have also reached the top of my poles and have started to bloom. I am late getting them in the ground this year with the cool wet spring we had so will see how they do. I can only expect one good crop not the two or three I normally get. If by chance your heading to SC I have my tomato tasting July 20th your welcome to stay at the house and I would love to show you around the place. I will be in your area 8-11 Aug.Rodger

o

Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 15:10

Hello Everyone,

Sounds like you guys are gonna get one good crop in if this weather will be kind to you. We have had unusual weather everywhere this year. At present we are getting showers almost daily. My Jackson Wonder butter beans are putting on a second crop of blossoms and they have never done that this time of the year. Hope they will set and make another crop. Here is a picture of some that we put in the freezer today. They were my Daddy's favorite butter bean. I can still see him eating them with hot green peppers.

Jackson Wonder Butter Beans

photo 20130702_3_zpsde31f0a0.jpg

Luther

o

I've finally got some Sieva's starting to fill out. I picked a handful shelled and put them in the fridge. I hope to get enough to eat before the week is over.

I've had bunches of pods for two or three weeks, but they are slow to fill out.

I think it is the weather, monsoon rains, cloudy, and much cooler than normal.

Luther, I didn't get to plant the seed that you sent me. It has been too wet. This weather is unbelievable! I'll plant them next year.

I have to wear rubber boots in the garden. Regular shoes end up stuck in the mud!

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 15:29

Ted, sorry to hear you are flooded out. This has been a wet season for a lot of folks this year. My raised beds helps when we get those heavy rains.

I'm starting my fall gardening at this time. Planted some of the seed that Harry sent me. Also planted some Mezcla lima seed to see what they are compared to the Sieva. Planted Woods Prolific lima and will plant Nemagreen lima as they are resistant to the nematodes. Have put horse manure in each furrow row to keep the nematodes in check.

Happy gardening to everyone,
Luther

o

The Sieva beans are still coming in slowly, I had enough for a meal by Saturday. They are very tasty, although loaded with gas! :)

It's a keeper. But next year I think I will do an arch trellis so that they will be easier to pick.

There must have been some crossing in the seeds, most are white instead of green but some are speckled, some dark purple, and some are pink.

Or did they send me the wrong seeds?

The photo isn't very clear, but you can see the different colors.

photo 001-1.jpg

o

Certainly mixed, Sieva is a white bean no tint of any kind.

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 16:22

Ted, sounds like you got an order similar to mine at the beginning of this post. I have some Sieva planted at present in my fall garden. Hope they turn out the correct ones. At least the seed were white.

farmerdill, how did your Mezcla lima beans do this year and how was the taste in comparsion to the Sieva?

We are having extremely hot weather in my location. My new fall bean plants need watering each evening.

Luther

o

Bad year for limas so not a good comparison. They did produce but certainly not a bumper crop.
Con. Pods are small like a butterpea. very tight even more difficult to shell then a butterpea.
Pro: taste is excellent equal to thorogreen. Actually cook as a green tinted baby lima altho the dried seed are white.
I grew Bridgton as my bush lima this year and suffered extreme blossom drop.
mezcla photo mecla_zpsa92eafb8.jpg Mezcla photo Mezcla2_zps61bba4a9.jpg Mezcla photo Mezcla3_zpse799bcd7.jpg

o

Thanks to Charlie I figured out why some of my Sieva are different colors!

He messaged me and said that some of them looked like the colored bb from Alabama that he sent to me.

I had picked a few of those also and had them in a different bag in our fridge. I looked for them and couldn't find them. I asked DW if she moved them. She said that she found 2 bags of beans and put them together when she cleaned the fridge!

The really dark ones must be BJBB volunteers. I planted the Alabama beans near to where they were planted last year!

Thanks Charlie!

o

Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:41

Thanks farmerdill for the pictures and info on the beans. Now I know what to expect when my mezcla get ready to pick.

Ted it is always helpful to have the wife to assist you with storing your seed. Sometimes I think I can remember what is what but this thing called senior moments can get me in trouble.
Have Mezcla, Woods Prolific, Sieva, Griggs lima bean, Helda Romano green bean and Blue lake green bean plants up in my fall garden. Today I planted Nemagreen lima bean and a few pinkeye purple Hull peas.
That is all in the bean family. Have other fall vegetables planted.

Luther

o

Ted glad they did well for you
Todays picking
Red Bisbee pea,Carolina Sieva middle,dried in container,Gerald's Collection pea and Colored BB from Al.also dried at lower right
Charlie

o
RE: Sieva/Carolina seed crop update

Rodger & Fusion, if you are out there... how are your seed crops for "Sieva" doing? Will there be enough for commercial sources to sell seed next year?

SSE was growing a seed crop this year as well, but I haven't heard how it is doing. I was just there over the Labor Day weekend (for their tomato tasting) but didn't think to ask.... dooh! Guess I was having too much fun. Walking through their fields always makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. ;-)

o

Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 11:56

Hi Everyone,

Charlie, you are getting vegetables from your garden. At present I don't have any type of beans producing vegetables to eat. I'm having to eat from my freezers during this stage of my garden. Planting all my fall garden at this time. Here is a picture of some Lima beans just up.

Nemagreen Lima Beans:

photo 20130914_2_zps3cc1ae06.jpg

Luther

o

It turned out to be a bust on all my beans this year. Way too much water. The first crop of Sievas ripened mid Aug all the seed has spots so I can't sell it. They are reblooming now and ironically after a record setting summer for cool temps and record rainfall it has been hot and dry no rain and every day above 90 for Sept until today. very unusal season. I hope the fall crop will fair better. All my commom bean seed crops rotted in July first two plantings of field peas rotted I have a few fall planted peas and beans but they don't look good. Rodger

Zeedman Fusion either one of you going to Berea Ky Oct 5 for our annual seed swap?. Rodger

o

After 3 months of daily downpours it has now become hot and dry
All bush beans rotted in the floods and now the ones planted for fall are lacking for rain
The first Sieva bb were mummys,no beans in pods or imature ones
I am now getting a few each day however Sieva is no way the best producer
So far Black Star,Florida Speckled Lynch Collection and Violet's Multicolored are are out producing all others despite the temps in the mid 90s
The pole beans did quite well namely because we got them in early and have made many seeds
Charlie

o

I am disappointed in the Sieva production also Charlie.

It may be because of the weather or the fact that I underestimated their height.

My trellis is 6' and the plants are running sideways on it. The beans are under a thick canopy.

They may be shading themselves too much. They have lots of pods that are slow to mature. They dry out too quick, they will be dark green one day and dry the next.

o

"... They dry out too quick, they will be dark green one day and dry the next."

That was my experience with them also. I actually advised a gardener who wanted to save some seed from his "Sieva" not to do so intentionally... that he would probably miss enough to get sufficient dry seed by accident. ;-)

Only one lima for me, but it turned out to be the silver lining in an otherwise disappointing year. While I was unable to plant in my rural plot, I grew "Hopi Pole" in one of my home plots. It was started as transplants, and I found room for almost every one that came up.

The funny thing is, "Hopi Pole" has always been a long-season bean for me, maturing only a partial crop - sometimes a very small one - just before frost. That was the result twice in my rural plot; one year I only got a cup of dry seed. This year, it bloomed early. I already have several pounds of dry seed, and with at least a week or two before frost, am harvesting the remainder for butterbeans. It even beat the two pole beans in the same plot for dry seed... go figure.

It makes me wonder. My rural plot is very fertile, basically a seasonal floodplain (which is the reason I can't plant there some years). In contrast, my home plots - while better drained - are lower in fertility. I have been gradually building them up, and they get a little better each year... but they still have a ways to go.

Besides "Hopi Pole", I also grew a Chinese heirloom yardlong bean in that plot; it too had a long DTM in my rural plot, to the point of racing the frost for dry seed. Yet grown at home, it too bore early & heavily.

It is common knowledge that you should not fertilize beans. Taking that one step further, is it possible that soil fertility - or the lack of it - can influence DTM? It seems that poor soil might be better for growing long-season beans to seed.

o

I have about a gallon of Carolina Sieva seed packed in a box to send to Sandhill Preservation the end of this week. I need to re-pick and should get another gallon or two. Production has been decent but insect damage is high, I lost about 1 seed in 10 too damaged to save.

o

Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 10:51

fusion_power, Sandhill will have a mad rush from customers for orders. They won't last very long, as they will be the only vender that has any for sale. Folks will appreciate your effort to put the Sieva Lima back in circulation.

My fall garden is starting to produce some Romano pole beans. Don't usually have them until in November. Got them planted early this year. The monte Cristo have blossoms and the Fortex have reach the top of trellis.

Helda Romano Pole Beans

photo 20131001_1_zps2fe1eb89.jpg

Happy Gardening To All,
Luther

o

Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:24

Hello Everyone,

This is a picture of some pole beans that is on the menu tonight. We had our 1st cool night last night. The temperature was 67 and they forecast the next few days it will be in the high sixties each evening. That makes it nice for growing my vegetables. It will be in the mid to high eighties during the day and that is what it takes to make the lima/butterbeans. The lima/butterbeans are putting on blossoms at this time.

Helda Romano Pole Beans

photo 20131010_3_zps3fa68382.jpg

Happy Gardening To All,
Luther

o

Luther, mine are liking this cooler weather too.

They are full of blooms, I hope I don't get an early frost!

o

Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 12:13

Ted, hope this early cool spell is not a indication of a early frost for you. We usually don't get this cool weather until the last of October. I was worried my pole beans wouldn't make this early due to hot weather.

Luther

o

All of my bbs have dropped their old leaves and have put on new growth and blooms
I too hope for a late frost however I doubt I will come nowhere gathering a gallon or two
So far I have only maybe 2 cups of dried Sieva
I guess we ate two many
They sure are delicious
Charlie

o

Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 11:41

Charlie, In your location I think the frost will get your butter beans before they can put on another crop. But with the unusual weather we are have this year, anything can happen. Hope you can save enough Sieva seed for next season. Now you know where you can purchase more Sieva seed. Some of the guys on this forum have Sieva seed that have spots that make them unsellable but are good seed.

Luther

o

Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 12:15

Hi everyone,

Ted I hope you haven't gotten a frost yet. Zeedman said he was expecting one and had picked all his beans.

Someone on the net said the Monte cristo was a real good snap bean. So I thought I would give it a try. Here is a picture of my beans on the trellis. Will pick a mess for this evenings meal and give them a taste test. They are suppose to be better than the Blue Lake pole beans.

Monte Cristo

photo 20131021_4_zpseb7065f0.jpg

Luther

o

Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:47

Hello Everyone,

Went out and picked some of the Monte Cristo pole green Beans for supper. I gave a bag full to a neighbor because I had more than we could eat. Our neighbors eat better than we do and they don't have to work for their vegetables. One neighbor has a couple of small kids and I like to see kids get plenty of fresh vegetables to eat.

Monte Cristo Pole Beans

photo 20131021_8_zps293e5518.jpg

Happy Gardening to all,
Luther

o

They are calling for frost tonight, Luther. I know what I will be doing when I get home!

I'm going to recruit my neighbor to help pick, she loves the butter beans and it will be almost dark when I get home!

I share extra stuff with her and a local soup kitchen. Last Sunday we picked 2 bushels of greens for the soup kitchen. They cook on Mondays and have limited space for cold storage. She picked more than I did, but she is younger and much closer to the ground! She's about 4'11" and I'm 6'5" !

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 12:41

Great photo Luther.

Could you give us your impression of the eating quality of Monte Cristo? According to Territorial Seed, they grow well here in the PNW and I am considering adding them to my 2014 list.

Dick

o

Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:29

Ted, at least the frost will make those greens taste good. My problem is the greens aren't very good in my location because of the warm weather. I'm only 6 feet tall and my 8 foot trellis makes me stand on my tip toes to reach the top. That is kind of painful in my old age as I have drooped somewhat.

Dick, the Monte Cristo green bean is real good. We had them cooked in olive oil, seasoned with garlic salt and stir fried. My wife said we should have cooked more instead of giving them all away. We are have them again tonight stir fried. The secret is to pick them about half mature and they are better. Now I haven't tried them cooked the ole southern way with bacon or salt pork but I'm sure that they would be good any way you prepared them. I will save some seed to plant next spring.

I have some Fortex green beans that will be ready next week. I purchased the seed from Burpee seed company. They said their Fortex bean was larger than the regular Fortex green bean. I haven't grown them before. Can anyone tell me the difference from the two?

Luther

o

Well, the "regular Fortex" gets up to 11" long, it's hard to imagine them getting much larger than that... or whether such a difference would matter.
 photo GardenPictures042.jpg

o

Fortex is not very well adapted to my climate. I can get a crop, but nowhere near the crop I get from beans with more nematode tolerance and heat tolerance. I am working on a cross that will perform better than Fortex while retaining most of the good traits. Now if I can just figure out how to fit in 2 extra rows of beans!

DarJones

o

Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 9:20

Thank you Luther. Neither Emerite nor Fortex did very well this summer and I plan to give Monte Cristo a try. They are sold by Territorial which shares our climate. - Dick

o

Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 10:48

DarJones, what variety of green bean do you grow that is Nematode tolerance and heat tolerance? I have those problems here in my location. I have to make a furrow row and fill the furrow row with home made soil mixture of mine.

Zeedman, that is a beautiful picture of your Fortex bean. That certainly looks healthy and quite large for a green bean. The Burpee fortex can't be any larger than the one you have. How did you find the taste compared to other green beans. Everyone raves about how good the Fortex bean tastes. I will find out this next week.

Dick, I purchased my seed from Territorial seed company and they seem to do good here. We have had cool weather here recently in the sixties at night but next week it is suppose to be back in the low seventies at night. I find that your climate and soil makes the difference in your vegetables taste. In my area I have an up hill battle.

Luther

o

Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 12:42

Hello Everyone,

Here is a picture of some Lima beans. They are really loaded with blossoms and some beans on the spikes. Farmerdill put me on to the Nemagreen Lima that has some resistant to the Nematodes. Only problem is they are the bush variety. I would grow everything on a trellis if I could. My back just don't like those bush varieties.

Baby Limas

photo 20131025_4_zps4ac2da44.jpg

Luther

o

Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 9:37

Hello Everyone,

Zeedman, I had a mess of the Fortex green beans this past week. They are what everyone said they were, GOOD.
I forgot to take a picture of them but some were a foot long.

Bill the Monte Cristo green bean is a very prolific green bean. I think it has out produced all the other green beans.

Here is a picture of the Maxabel bush green bean. Will give them a taste test today. Also share with the neighbors as my wife and I can only eat so many. I don't like them frozen as they taste mushy after freezing. Plus we can grow several crops a year.

Maxabel Green Bean

photo 20131102_4_zps13a062b8.jpg

Happy Gardening To All,
Luther

o

Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 10:04

Hi everyone,

I was disappointed in the Maxabel green bean. They had a tough skin on them and the taste wasn't the best. Don't know if I gave them enough water or it was the heat. They are off my list to plant in the future. The other good tasting green beans spoiled my taste buds. Here is a picture of some Limas I picked this morning.

Woods Prolific Bush Lima

photo 20131104_4_zps2e7bf6d6.jpg

Luther

o

Just a heads up that I shipped a small package of Carolina Sieva to Sandhill Preservation. They will be available in limited quantities next year.

o

How small Fushion?

I plan to plant more next year for sharing.

I've got a few to spare from this year, maybe 200 seeds or so.

I wish I had more to share this year, but I ate most of them!

If anyone wants some for a SASE message me. First come first served!

o

wertach, about 1/2 gallon of seed sent to Sandhill so far. I have to pick them again in the next couple of days and hope to get another half gallon. That is still not a lot of seed, but Glenn will put them in packs of 30 to 40 and should get about 1000 packs.

o

That's good news, Fusion. Between Glen & some of the growers on this forum who preserve it (and perhaps SSE, although I haven't heard how their crop fared) "Sieva" should be more reliably available in the future.

o

Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:17

Hello Everyone,

Between all you guys growing Sieva Lima seed it won't be long before we have the market full of available seed to purchase. Thanks to everyone for making your contribution, no matter how large or small we will make the Sieva available to everyone.

Here is a picture of the Mexcla Lima that is taking the place of the Sieva by the Commerical growers. Wanted to give it a trial test and see the difference. Have mature ones and I will give them a taste test in the next few days.

Mexcla Lima

photo 20131107_1_zps4c598d37.jpg

Luther

o

Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:32

Also took a picture of the Nemagreen Lima. Suppose to be the same as the Thorogreen Lima except it has some resistance to the Nematode. They should be ready to pick soon. They are putting on additional crops before the first one is mature.

Nemagreen Lima

photo 20131107_5_zps09b1e249.jpg

Happy Gardening to all,
Luther

o

Wow, is that a beautiful set of pods. Nice work, Luther. I've really been enjoying your photos.

Since you are growing almost every lima under the sun, would you be interested in a black-seeded bush lima?

o

Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 5:39

Zeedman, I would love to give them a try next spring. I have planted all types and they love this area. I will mail you my address. Glad you have enjoyed the photos.

Folks, sorry about the misspelling in the earlier post. I was having a senior moment.

Luther

o

Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 15:38

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked a mess of Mezcla pole beans. Had a few HBJBB that came up in the row also. So I put them in the picture so you can make a comparison. The Mezcla Lima is smaller than a regular Lima and harder to shell. But the taste is real good.

Mezcla Pole Lima

photo 20131108_3_zps365a6d20.jpg

The Mezcla Pole Lima does not mature as fast as the HBJBB.

Luther

o

Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 10:18

Here are some purple hull pinkeye cowpeas I'm saving for seed. Have been eating them with Okra and cornbread. I cook them with bacon to give them a southern taste. I know this is suppose to be bad for your heart but this is the way I was raised and they don't taste good without that flavor.

My Cowpeas

photo 20131109_2_zps1a2f000e.jpg

Luther

o

Ditto on the bacon Luther! My motto is eat good even if it is supposed to be bad for you!

It will probably save me from a long painful lingering death! Just BOOM and I'm gone!

o

Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 19:46

Heart disease was virtually unknown back when people fried their bacon, eggs and potatoes in a black skillet where the grease was often deep. Not much sugar or junk oils back then. - Dick

o

Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 12:48

Back before world war 2 everything was fried in pure Hog Lard. I know as a kid when we butchered hogs my job was to dice up all fat and cook in a large cast iron wash pot. We strained the lard into 5 gallon cans for months of frying. The cracklings were used in making Crackling cornbread. We made our own syrup by the gallons and was poured over the Crackling cornbread. It was a different world we lived in before the fifties. The shortage of everything during the war years caused a change in everything. Since 1950 we have made unbelievable advancements.

I have some Ma Williams shelly beans I'm growing for seed. What is the difference between them and the Goose beans? Only have a couple plants that survived from some type of disease that wiped out about forty plants. I try to grow organic vegetables but in my location we have every type of fungus.

Luther

o

Ah, cornbread. I used to get up early & make that for the wife on Saturdays, back when we were newlyweds. Coffee cake too. Those were good years. Haven't made either for years now, I sleep late due to my schedule... but if I can get up early next weekend & bake some, that smell should bring back fond memories. Thanks, Luther, for bringing that up.

Now if I could just learn to tap my maple trees...

"Ma Williams" and "Goose" are fundamentally the same bean, as is another called "Pumpkin Bean". In my visits to Heritage Farm, I've seen all three in SSE's preservation grow outs, and the differences - if any - are exceedingly minor. They were all grown in different years, though, so direct comparisons were not possible. I have seed for all three, and had planned to grow them all side-by-side for comparison... but 2 of the last 5 years have been near total losses here due to bad Spring weather, so I was never able to get the trial planted. Hope the seed is still good, the only one I've grown for seed is "Ma Williams". Next year (weather permitting) I'll have to make a point of growing one of the others for seed.

o

Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 19:10

I once grew Ma Williams and Goose side by side. They appeared identical except that Goose matured a week or two earlier. The Ma Williams was on the west end of the bean garden so it had full sun and no afternoon shade from another trellis. Goose was shaded by Ma Williams but it was still earlier. Very fine beans. - Dick

o

Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 10:17

Zeedman, We don't put sugar in our cornbread down south where I was raised. If you weren't raised on plain cornbread you might not like the type I was raised on. Here is a recipe for a Mexican corn bread that is good. You can add peppers according to taste or leave them out if children are eat the bread.

Mexican Cornbread

photo Mexicancornbread001_zps8c2ca543.jpg

They are many types of this Mexican cornbread. I have ate it with ground beef in it also.

Luther

o

Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 11:04

Dick & Zeedman, thinks for your info on the Ma Williams and Goose pole shelly beans. My Daddy didn't grow these for some unknown reason when I was a kid. I'm willing to try all types of vegetables to see what I can make and what taste good to me. I keep a record on everything I grow so I will know in the future when and how. Here is a picture of a few beans I picked this morning. Have saved enough seed to give them a try this next year.

Ma Williams Pole Shelly

photo 20131111_1_zps82e61d1a.jpg

Luther

o

Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 8:37

Hello Everyone,

Well today is 11-12-13. So I went out and took a picture of my Fortex pole green beans I'm saving for seed. Purchasing the seed plus shipping can get expensive. So I save all my own seed except the Hybrids.

Fortex Pole Green Bean

photo 20131111_3_zps1de38181.jpg

Happy Gardening To All,
Luther

o

Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 15:08

We did a taste test on the Ma Williams pole shelly beans. My wife said she really loved them. I also thought they were very good. So this next spring we will plant a large crop of Ma Williams beans or the Goose.

My wife said to make a change on the cheese in the Mexican cornbread. To use, Krafts Mexican style blend of four cheeses in the bread as it is much better.

Luther

o

Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 10:25

Hello Everyone,

Today I put in the freezer some baby Lima Beans. Planted the Woods Prolific and planted the Nemagreen in spots the Woods Prolific didn't come up. So I have a mixture of white and green lima beans. To me they taste the same.

Baby Lima Beans

photo 20131114_3_zpsfda06afe.jpg

Luther

o

love those Wood's Prolific. Bigger and heavier yielding than Hendersons. Unfortunately The only source in recent years is Southern States Cooperative. When I was young use to get them T.W. Wood, when they went out business got them from Wetzel for a few years. SS still carries them but If they drop them they will probably be lost like most of the old Woods varieties.

o

Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:50

Thanks farmerdill for the info. You have given me several bits of good information. I get a lot of good information from people like you on the website. The Wood's Prolific bush lima is a much larger bean than the Henderson. Don't remember where I purchased them but I save the seed from year to year. Even tho I have been gardening more years than I care to think about, I'm learning new things almost daily.

Today I picked buckets of Fortex, Monte Cristo and Helda green beans and divided among all my neighbors. Plus other surplus vegetables. My wife and I can only eat so many vegetables and we keep our freezers full. If one of our freezers went out we would have to rush down and buy one at the regular price to save a years supply of vegetables.

Luther

o

Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 10:16

Zeedman, I got your Black Lima Seed in the mail yesterday. Thinks and I'm looking forward to seeing what they taste like this next spring.

I wonder how many of you select the 4 seeded pods of lima to save seed from? That is what I do from year to year. Also my cowpeas, I only save seed from pods that have 12, 14 & 16 seed. It really makes a difference. That is why livestock folks use selective breeding.

Luther

o

Luther, I e-mailed you back about the Sieva and never got a response.

I've lost your address and I need you to e-mail it to me.

o

Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 12:23

Wertach, I mailed you thru the gardenweb. Hope it got thru to you.

This morning I went out and picked a bucket of Harry's HTD speckle butterbeans. Had to use a ladder to pick some of them out of my orange tree. Had planted them at the edge of the tree so they wouldn't get full sun during the hot weather. They did not make during the hot weather but as soon as it cooled off they were very prolific. In the picture the hulls had four beans. Harry I don't remember what beans you crossed to develop this HTD bean but it is a winner. We were hoping it would make during the hot summer here in Florida but it wouldn't.

I have a couple hundred seed I will mail out in 25 packs to anyone that wants to give them a try. E-mail me your mailing address and I will send them to you.

Harry's HTD ButterBean

photo 20131124_2_zpsb796aba1.jpg

Luther

o

Luther The HTD butter bean is cross between the black Jungle butter bean and the willow leaf lima. They produced good for me, blooming and setting pods in July and August here in SE Texas, zone 9A. I'm glad you like them. My wife also thinks they are a keeper. I definitely will plant them again next spring.
Harry

o

Yes Luther, I got it thank you!

o

Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:36

Harry, Thanks for the info on the HTD bean. I didn't give them the proper test this past summer. I planted them in a container and it really gets hot when the sun shines on it. Next summer I will plant them in the ground. Those that requested seed, I will get in the mail next week.

wertach, I got the seed in the mail today. I sure do thank you and they are what I needed.

Picked and shelled 2 gallons of Nemagreen Lima beans for my freezer today. Gave a bucket of them to a neighbor but they had to pick them as my back had pooped out.

Nemagreen Lima Bean

photo 20131126_4_zps327f18e5.jpg

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 8:58

I want to move to Titusville!
Dick

o

Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 15:09

Dick, they are plenty of vacant places here. They have been giving houses away for wooden nickels since they closed the space center. The Shuttle program could have continued several more years. It is called Politics

I was talking to my brother today and he said it was suppose to be below twenty degrees tonight in Georgia where he lives. It is hard to believe the difference as my air conditioner has been running all day today. Altho my wife has been running the stove, baking items for tomorrows dinner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Luther

o

For anyone thinking of moving to Titusville, may I remind you that Merritt Island is the mosquito capitol of the world. Ask Luther how many mosquitoes he has to fight with to harvest his beans, or ask how many whiteflies he scares up off his tomato plants.

o

Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 13:27

fusion_power, I see you have visited our area. Yes we do have our share of mosquitoes but they are not as bad as they were a few years ago. The whiteflies really give us a problem each and every year. During the winter months we get a invasion from the Caribbean of the Whiteflies that give us a problem growing tomatoes. They bring that dreaded tomato disease that is impossible to control. But I grow plenty for myself. In a warm climate you get all the pests.

We are having green beans from the garden for our Thanksgiving dinner. Plus other fresh vegetables.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Luther

o

Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 18:03

Hello Everyone,

While everyone has been out shopping on Black Friday I have been picking and shelling lima beans for the freezer. We had a cool spell come thru and I knew it would be a good time to work in my garden. Early this morning I didn't have to wear a sweat band and I was able to wear long pants.

My Bush Woods Prolific Lima

photo 20131129_3_zps150f30ed.jpg

Happy Holidays to everyone,
Luther

o

Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 17:00

Hello Everyone,

Today was a work in the yard and garden. Picked a bucket of the Griggs Sieva Pole Butter Beans. They have the willow leaf plants and next to them are some regular Sieva plants that have regular leafs. Had no trouble knowing when the Griggs ended. They also shell very easy compared to the Nemagreen Lima beans. We will have some to eat tomorrow and put the rest of them in the freezer.

Griggs Sieva Pole Butter Beans

photo 20131202_4_zpsfc7daff2.jpg

We need some fresh vegetables after all that Turkey.

Luther

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here