Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Beans

Posted by drumz1 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 19:09

I have planted a row of the "Italian" variety of beans in a raised bed. Since I haven't grown this type of bean before, I'm not certain if it grows as a bush or a pole style of bean. I'm beginning to think it's a climbing vine, and am wondering if I should build a trellis for the row (and I could be entirely wrong in my assumption).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
drumz1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Beans

The question is, are they bush beans or pole beans. To answer that, we need to know the name of the variety. Do you have that? Where did you obtain the seeds?

Jim

o

Jim wrote: "The question is, are they bush beans or pole beans. To answer that, we need to know the name of the variety. Do you have that? Where did you obtain the seeds?"

I received the seeds from my next-door neighbor. I asked him today what the variety of the beans was and he gave me an empty packet, which read "Bush Romano" (Burpee Early Bush Italian Frijol De Jardin).

Being a newcomer to raising these type of beans, I will admit to being confused as to the correct way of growing the plant. I have raised the "bush" style of bean (Blue Lake) before, but this is a first for me on this type, so kindly forgive my ignorance here, if you will.

I'm not certain if a trellis would be the correct thing to use or not in this particular instance.

Thanks, Jim (or anyone else who wishes to comment) for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Regards,
drumz1

o

You grow the bush Romano just like you do the Blue Lake.

o

No matter what variety, bush beans are never climbers. There are Romano beans that climb, however it will say so on the package.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here