Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans planted so far

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 19:29

Here is a post from my blog that shows my beans planted so far, featuring in particular my early wax bean, Pisarecka Zlutoluske.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans planted so far

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 19:27

Great photos, Nancy.

I am growing your black seed Anellino Giallo again this year. What a great bean. - Dick

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 22:17

Beautiful.

I have all of my beans along my garden fence just in case they need a little support. I have Kentucky Blue Green Beans, Roma Beans, Dragon Tongue Beans, Fordhook Lima Beans and a few Yellow Wax Beans.

Very exciting.

o

Update on Pisarecka Zlutoluske, now about 1 foot tall and flowering, photo below, from being planted out April 15. I also planted out some runner beans about the same time which are growing up the trellis, they also seem more cold resistant. I planted more beans by May 15 which are getting bigger and finished planting the rest of my beans by my deadline of June 15, they are starting to come up now. I am avoiding the bed that was heavily damaged by rabbits last year and also added welded wire fencing to the back of that bed so hope to have better crops this year.

o

I picked my first beans today from the Pisarecka Zlutoluske-

o
Beans

These are my first beans, 12 oz. picked today. The other beans planted a couple of weeks later are only blooming now.

o

Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 13:50

Wow! I will have to try those next year. Did you pre-sprout them or do they sprout ok in cold spring soil? Only Bond's Orcas Lima and Emerite have blossomed here so far. - Dick

o

Dick- I generally soak beans overnight then rinse them several times a day until they sprout a root, then plant. They would probably sprout OK direct seeded but sprouting under warmer conditions is much faster. I also planted Bianco di Spagna on April 15 and they have passed the top of the trellis ~7-8' and are blooming. One is blooming red, which is a puzzle. There are other beans that are supposed to be cold tolerant but it's easy just to stick to the ones I know.

o

Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 16:29

Hi Nancy. Thank you for the update.

Interesting about the red blossoms. I grow only one runner bean per summer so I am wondering if there is some other runner bean grower around here. - Dick

o

I had a red-flowered runner bean show up on another trellis by itself so perhaps some seed fell to the ground, or I suppose there is an outside possibility some roots could overwinter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here