Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaneden_gw

75-100 pea plants just bit the dust

susaneden
15 years ago

This is really, really funny and a bit sad, too. I had Aldermans and sugar snap peas growing along my fence (in sinec March, and looking great).

My neighbor decided to do me a favor and trim the "weeds" growing up my fence with the string trimmer.

The good news is I way overplanted and he only got half of them, because I was trying to find out what variety grows best here for me. Guess I will have to forego that experiment until next year.

This has NOT been a good year for peas for me :(

Need I say more?

Comments (16)

• wild_forager
    15 years ago

AhhH! That hurts to even think about, but at least your neighbor meant well. Don't take well meaning neighbors for granted, even if they do kill your garden.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Sometimes being well meaning isn't enough. A little intelligence, thoughtfulness and consideration for others is needed.

Jim

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ironocally enough he is a landscaper. He is a really sweet guy, though, and he is trying to think of something he can do to make up for it (offered to buy me more seed, etc.).

There is, of course, no way he can make up for 8 weeks of growing time, but it was a nice offer :D

I told him I was way overplanted, thanked him for trimming the rest of the yard, told him not to worry about it, but to PLEASE ask me if I want something cut down before he does it again :D

• fliptx
    15 years ago

Oh you have my sympathies! The guy who cuts my grass is very well meaning, but he's weedwhacked a few things thinking they were weeds.

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

flip
    Tell me your not talking about your father.

• shebear
    15 years ago

A landscaper that doesn't know what a pea plant looks like..........send him back to school.

So did he just memorize what to plant in beds around places or what?

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL--the "landscapers" around here--just seem to know about flowers, bushes and trees and have no clue what a veggie plant looks like growing :D

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last week, I gave this neighbor and his girlfriend some veggies left over from cell packs I bought at a nursery (onion transplants, etc.).

He planted them all well, now has a neat little garden over there. He wanted me to look at it. All looked great--except he had left the clump of onion transplants in a pretty, neat little clump :D I told him to space them out if he wants bulbs.

Hopefully, next year, he will know what more veggie plants look like.

..incidentally, his girlfriend told me he weed whacked a bush beans last year her son was growing (left over from a school project). THAT one had beans on it, and she asked him-- "the BEANS on the plant didn't give you a clue it wasn't a weed?"

Needless to say, he is a sweet gut but NOT the sharpest pencil in the box.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Well, I have a husband who doesn't garden. He's run over any number of things with the lawn mower including blueberry bush seedlings, blackberry seedlings, tomatoes, chives, horseradish and two hoses!

The good news is with the carppy weather NY has had, you could probably replant them now & still get a crop!

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, boo--i did that :D because of the icky, cool WNY weather we have been having.

we'll see if it gets too hot before they set pods :D

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

Susaneden, Do you live in Eden by any chance? I grew up there and now live in Hamburg. Just now saw that you are in WNY.

• P POD
    15 years ago

Sorry about your misfortune. You seem to have dealt with the situation wisely. Impressive!
    By all means, take him up on his offer to buy seed so you could plant again and get a fall crop.

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirley--Yes I do--went to high school in Hamburg :D

Thanks for the compliment ppod (love the name btw!). I realy did not know any other way to handle this, since he is such a nice guy :D

I guess the moral of the story is don't cry over spilled milk (or cut peas lol)

• catherinet
    15 years ago

You sound like a very nice person. I don't think I could have handled it as well!
    Someone on the tree forum said once that they had hired a landscaping group to fix her lawn up, that had a lot of trees in it. They weed-whacked around all the trees, and whacked off the bark around all the bottoms of the trees.......which for trees is usually a death sentence. It didn't go as nicely as your problem!
    Hopefully you'll still have alot of peas.

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohhhh--trees would be different--I probably would have gotten evil!!!!!

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

That is a horrifying slaughter.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES