Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole vs Hyacinth

Posted by kay____h (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 20:57

I am planning on growing both and would like to continue collecting seeds for next year. Is there a cross polination issue when growing these two in the same area?

Thanks...Kay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole vs Hyacinth

They will not cross two total different genus Hyacinth bean is genus Lablab Species purpureus vs pole bean phaseolus species vulgarus Rodger

o

I agree with Rodger - there is no danger of crossing between hyacinth beans (which are also very much "pole") & common pole snap beans.

If you have not saved hyacinth bean seed before, be aware that it requires a very long season to mature. They are daylength-sensitive, and will not even bloom until the days approach 12 hours, in September.

o

Thanks! This is helpful.

I did not personnally save these hyacinth bean seeds, a freind at work collected them from plants she had last year. In September, the days do shorten to about 12 hours in this area, but my freind indicated a longer bloom time. In anycase, I am mostly growing them for the colorful folage. Any flowers will be a bonus.

Thanks again, Kay.

o

Hyacinth beans are very beautiful. I think you will have no trouble getting blooms.

Jim

o

I'm wondering are the Wang Kong beans a Hyacinth bean?

o

"I'm wondering are the Wang Kong beans a Hyacinth bean?"

No. They are a runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus)... so you could grow them, the hyacinths, and the common pole beans (I'm assuming that they are snap beans) without crossing.

Competition, however, is another matter. Hyacinth beans are very rampant vines, so if planted next to the snaps & runners, they might overrun them. If grown on a trellis, I recommend giving them some space, 2 feet or more if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here