Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone identify these beans?

Posted by scinocco CO (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 21:04

Hi, could someone help me identify these beans. They were given to us by another gardener, but they could tell us what they were. I'd like to plant them, but I want to make sure I know what I am doing. Any information that is provided would be really helpful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone identify these beans?

They look like some Rose beans that I grew last year. If that is the correct ID. they are a pole shell bean.

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 14:39

Rose would be my guess too. They are an aggressive climber but I was not quite able to save seeds for them here in the PNW. - Dick

o

Ditto on the beans on the right most likely being the pole bean "Rose". The seeds are fairly distinctive, although I have seen a couple varieties that were similar."Rose" is good as either snap or shelly, but has a fairly late DTM. (I was just barely able to save some dry seed here before frost.)

The bean on the left is harder to identify, there are many beans with similar coloration. It looks like a Borlotto. Chances are that it will be a good shell bean, but I couldn't even guess whether it would be a bush or pole.

o

I've got a black seeded version of Turkey Craw that looks the same as the frosted beans. Also, Logan Giant is available in a black seeded version that looks similar.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here