Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie here...dumb bean questions

Posted by ricknpa 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 21:38

I started some bush beans inside about 4 weeks ago. And transplanted them to my "very first garden ever" last weekend. They were doing so well inside, but not so good after this week. When inside, the leaves were round as expected. But now they are very jagged. Is something eating them? Birds?
I have found a worm on some brussels sprouts planted, but that leaf damage was very different. One of the leaves on the beans seem to be turning milky color as well. I also have a few tomato plants and pepper plants in this first attempt. Everything else seems ok, except putting them in too early. The peppers and tomatoes I put in about 3 weeks ago (there was still some cold nights here) and the peppers developed some dark spots on there stems. But they seem to be growing ok. Have I totally blown my first shot at a garden, or is this recoverable?

Thanks in advance
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie here...dumb bean questions

Hi Rick,

Chances are your garden will grow and you'll do well. It's hard to diagnose without a picture. But as long as your beans have leaves and keep growing new ones, you should be okay. Let me tell you one of the most common problems people face when transplanting from indoors to out: they neglect to "harden their plants off." You see, any light the plants receive while indoors, is lacking the UV rays of outdoor sunshine. These are the same rays which cause people to tan... and to burn. Plants also burn, only when they burn they generally turn white or brown. So, when you move plants from indoors to outdoors you should give them, say... an hour of direct sunlight on the first day and perhaps two on the second day, moving up to four or five hours. I think, once they can take four hours, they're good to go for an entire day.

Another way to harden them off is to set your plants in a place with filtered shade, and then gradually move them out to where they receive more and more sun. This is good for the busy working person, who can't wait around to move plants from one location to another.

The dark spots on your tomatoes and peppers are probably botritus (sp?) a common fungal disease. This one hits when there are extended periods of very high humidity and cool temps. As long as those conditions don't last too long your plants should recover just fine.

Hang in there. Hang around here. Gardenweb is a good place to get advice and encouragement.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Newbie here...dumb bean questions

Dark spots on stems of peppers are normal. Nothing to worry about.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here