Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many peas to plant next year?

Posted by dalepres (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 22:21

I planted 25 feet of Alaska peas this season in our Oklahoma garden. We're not getting more than a handful of pods ripe at the same time so we never get enough for a meal for just the two of us.

This year, we're just experimenting and restoring our long-neglected garden area but next year I'd like to plant enough to get 40 or 50 pints of frozen or canned peas put up.

How many feet are we going to have to plant? Have any of you been successful in planting enough peas to put up all you wanted? If so, how many did you plant and how much did you get put up?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many peas to plant next year?

I typically plant 3 lbs of English peas, which on average shell out about 20 quarts. Space wise that is 4 80 foot rows. Alaska yield fairly well, so a 25 foot row should give you close to a quart per per picking. Alaska's are more everbearing then most so they don't all get ready at the same time, but still either they are producing properly or you picking too soon. I don't know you climate, but here I palnt smooth seeded varieties Alaska and Willet Wonder around Thanksgiving for spring harvest.
Alaska

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here