Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Favas-would these grow?

tracydr
13 years ago

I just bought some favas from the health food store. Tasted one raw and OMG I'm in love! They look pretty over mature but not dry or brown yet. If I saved some seeds will they grow? If not, I will be buying these seeds for my winter garden, no doubt!

Comments (7)

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Let some dry while still in the pod. The will probably be viable. You can improve their germination after storage by storing them dry in an air tight container in the freezer. Most legume seed is viable, harvestEd somewhat immature.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Tracydr, I have read that favas have a toxin that gets neutralized with cooking. Please look into this before eating a large amount of raw ones! This could be just related to the rare disease of favism, maybe others have more information. Are raw favas OK to eat? I steam or sautee mine.

I had a related question on viability because I am saving fava seeds. I would like to take some on a trip next week to share it, but none of the pods are dried yet. Some pods are getting other colors (mottled) and the seeds are large, completely formed. I can wait until the last minute to get the seed, and I was wondering if they will be viable when. Are they viable as fully grown shellies?

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Yes. The only draw back to taking the seed at this stage is that it's viability doesn't last as long as seed which is given more time.

George

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I'll just buy a pack of seeds. I'm assuming Windsor would be the appropriate seed for this area since I don't need extreme cold tolerance?
    Thanks for the hint on the toxins, Cabrita. I only tasted one, just to see what they were like. I'm not of Medititerean decent so I'm probably safe. Don't think the Finnish have anything to worry about in that area.
    We ate them boiled with a bit of bacon, some new potatoes, cowhorn cayenne peppers and fresh garlic. They were delicious. I'm in love with Favas! At 69cents a pound I'm going back for more if they have any. I took the whole batch yesterday.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Cabrita, are you drying them on the vine? I've picked shelly common beans, shelled them, and dried them in wire baskets with a fan on them and they were viable. Not sure if favas need to dry on the vine, but I can tell you, if you pick them off the vine the day you leave, make sure to carry them in a way that allows air movement, like in a net bag, or take a cardboard box, notch all around the edges and hang each pod inside the box with the stem in a notch.

Worst thing to do is to wait till the last minute then pile green, undried pods into a plastic bag or stacked in a box and leave them that way 24 or 48 hours, then find they have begun to rot and ferment. Better to pick them now, shell them and dry them in a wire basket or colander with a fan on them. The dry beans can be bagged or jarred for easier transportation and preservation than green beans.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Your responses are much appreciated! so fast too, which is good on a day off when I am picking fava and pea seeds.

I have 6 days before the trip, so I picked the ones off the plant that had pods that are super soft or have dark maroon splotches. I am leaving most of them there to dry on the plant, and per Macmex prolong the seed longevity. Refrigerator is the best I can do for storing seed, freezers are packed (successful garden!).

I have the fava pods drying on a wide wicker basket, hoping they will be dried enough to peel when I leave. Otherwise, I could just take the whole pod/seed combo and hope the pods offer some protection and air circulation.

The peas were much easier, since there were enough dried pods on the plants, and I am drying them further too on a similar basket. I did peel/shuck those.

thanks guys!

Back to my compost pile...

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Yes. The only draw back to taking the seed at this stage is that it's viability doesn't last as long as seed which is given more time.

George

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012