Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite bush bean variety?

Posted by jerem 5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 22:46

Im planting bush beans for the first time this year and im wondering what your favorite varietys are? Im looking for heaviest yeilding. I bought some Provider Green beans and they look pretty good anyone have any opinions?

Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite bush bean variety?

A lot of people like Contender, it is good bean, but I prefer Empress for a green snap and Cherokee Wax for a wax bean.

I am trying Roma II, Annelino di Trento, Antea and Golden Wax this year as well to see if I have any winners.

Dean

o

Newer introductions like Valentino, Hialeah etc will have larger yield potential. Contender has been around for a while (1950) and has best flavor of any bush bean for southern style cooking. Not everyone likes it however. Good producer. Your Provider is also a pretty good bean. I don't care for the taste but the Blue Lake bush varieties are good producers and relatively popular.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland, FL-Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, May 13, 10 at 12:34

I tried Nano Vittoria and Hildora this season and they did very well for me, taste as well as production.

Yesterday's harvest

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Nice harvest Silvia!

Has anyone ever grown Heavyweight II from Burpee??? I've not had much luck getting it to sprout but the plants that did are already blooming. "Fingers Crossed"

-Amber

o

I take it you're looking for snap bush beans? I have a few favorites. Derby is a great green bush bean. It held up well to some less than desirable weather here in the Northeast the past few years (cool & rainy). Blue Lake Bush beans are another great green bean, produces well and is readily available at big box stores & gardening centers. Cherokee Wax & Kinghorn Wax are great yellow beans and you can find them in the "cheap" seeds. Purple Queen is my favorite purple bush bean. I think it produces a little better than Royalty Purple or Royalty Burgundy. I also love Dragon Tongue beans (yellow with purple streaks) for the novelty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here