Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do I prune pole beans??

Posted by noodlesportland NW (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 23:10

I have planted pole beans about 2 weeks ago and thanks the OP who showed the most amazing picts (sorry don't have the name handy but it was great!!)we have a good looking pole bean patch as we built a good trellis system. We are in the NW and, yes, they are growing and attaching counterclockwise. My question is--as they grow I see new shoots coming off of the main plants. (sorry but I do not know gardening language). Do I pinch these off? or do I let all of them grow? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do I prune pole beans??

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 24, 09 at 7:57

Let all of them grow! They'll eventually find the trellis and wind around it, too. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone removing pole bean shoots, but I suppose it isn't impossible -- I think you'd just decrease your bean production if you did.

o

THANKS!

o

I AGREE with Anney, let them grow...BTW what typ; scratch that! you already answered .

o

Agreed-Let 'em grow. When I did pole beans, there were a few vines that had a hard time finding the net...Just let 'em go until there's enough length and place the vine on the net and it'll do the rest.

o

Takes about two trips a week or ten days apart to get all the vines trained to the net. After that the shoots will find it themselves.

o

Hey--thanks all--I have never grown them before--just bush beans, which were not successful. My pole beans vines are gorgeous and I can't believe how they have found the way up on their own. Some have about 4-5 tall already. A few leaves have had slug holes so I have pinched those off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here