Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Bought some fresh peas, can I save/dry them?

spaghetina
14 years ago

note: I also posted this over in the seed saving forum, but it doesn't seem to get very much action, so I thought I might ask here also. My apologies if that's frowned upon (and if it is, someone please let me know).

My favorite farm stand has the absolute best fresh English peas I've ever eaten. The pods are huge (about 6"), and the peas inside are almost always tender, crisp, large, and sweet.

Today, I went and picked up about 5 lbs. to eat raw (I'd rather sit with a bag of peas than a bag of chips), and a few were a bit old and beginning to split. I put them aside thinking maybe I could dry and save them to plant in the fall.

(Stupid sounding question, I know, but this is my first year gardening, so bear with me, lol.) Is is even possible to save the peas from something I bought and plant them later? Would I need younger peas than ones that are splitting, or is it ideal to have them be as old as they are? I did a search, and found a bit of info about drying beans, but I think that might be something different??

How would I go about saving these peas? I have about 30 of them sitting there with the pods cracked open right now.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner