Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with my pole bean plant leaves?

Posted by organic_veronica 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 1:51

I have a kentucky pole bean plant that I purchased from a garden center about 2 weeks ago. I transplanted it into my raised bed garden a week ago. I noticed that some leaves have a greyish-brown spots, almost looks like a dull metal color now that I look at it... Some leaves have holes in them, and these leaves are considerably less green, almost to the point of being yellow. I have a couple leaves that look completely dead. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? The yellowing of the leaves, holes, and greyish spots? Are they related somehow or individual issues that might be happening at the same time?

As a side note (note sure if it applies), my squash plant has diseased looking leaves as well. They are turning a spotty yellow/light color, with some "burning", a few leaves are completely dead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with my pole bean plant leaves?

They sell bean transplants?!?

I'm sorry, but garden centers are doing a great disservice to new gardeners by selling transplants of easy-sprouting but hard to transplant vegetables such as squash, melons, cucumbers, and, I guess, beans too.

All of these plants will sprout and grow enthusiastically when direct seeded -- assuming the ground is warm enough. None of them appreciate having their roots disturbed. :-(

I suspect that transplant shock weakened your plants so that the are succumbing to pests and diseases that stronger plants might have fought off.

Another possibility is that in your zone beans may not survive the summer heat. Here in zone 7 in NC beans should be planted in May and in late July with the expectation that the bush varieties at least will not survive the blistering heat of June and July.

o

Usually zones 10 and 9 in southern California have very cool springs and early summers, it does not get warm here until August usually. Right now it is really cool, almost cold (I live here too and we have been running the heater at home). Damage could not be from heat. I do agree with the previous poster on germination though, you are much better off buying seed for Kentucky wonder pole beans and planting directly. I have had good success with KW here too, so they will do fine for you. Also, once the seedlings recover from transplant shock they might produce well for you, good luck!

o

I sometimes plant a few beans close together to transplant into spaces where they didn't come up. I use a trowell and get lots of roots but they still take a week or more shock before starting to grow again. I do that with squash and okra too. If I get a good stand I just thin the few to good spacing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here