Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gigandes / Giant / Elephant Beans - anyone grow these?

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 1:55

Hello folks,

I recently talked myself into getting a VERY small serving of the Giant White Bean salad at Whole**Foods -and- I'm addicted. I've been looking at them for a year or more and thought they were just large Lima beans. They don't have lima bean flavor to my taste. I've only been able to find dried Giant Beans online (Purcell Mountain Farms) and wondered if they would grow. I know some folks grow the dried beans they get from Seed Saver Exchange (Runner Cannellini is one). It is my understanding this particular bean is a Greek specialty food but it also is grown in Mexico and called Hija.

First ---- Does anyone know where I can get seeds for this bean.
Second ---- Does anyone have experience growing beans from dried beans meant for eating.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gigandes / Giant / Elephant Beans - anyone grow these?

Check the thread linked below re Gigandes. I think it is what you are asking about.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Gigandes

o

Searching this forum on "grocery store" will take you to a couple of interesting threads on using grocery store beans as seed.

Jim

o

Jim,

Thanks for that link. I had pulled that same link in my research. Still confused....... Guess I will try to find some of the dried "Giant" beans and attempt germination. Didn't think to search for 'grocery store' - will do that now. Must have been in the middle of nighttime brain drain........

DL

o

No problem with your brain, DL. I just happened to remember that terminology being used previously. Actually, I thought there was a thread which was even more to the point than any uncovered by that search, but I couldn't find it. Maybe my brain isn't working as well as should be.

Jim

o

I have the same question on the Gigandes, I purchased from Purcell. I have planted sweet white runners, runner cannelini and the black valentines (bush beans as snaps) from them. I am pleased with their germination rate even though they are meant for eating.

We are planting the edible beans because it gives us a chance to taste before planting. Our space is at a premium, so we like to know that we will like any crop we plant.

I will try to paste the links to the other threads on the grocery store beans (I called them pantry beans in one). OK, no luck pasting the links to the older thread, so I will try bumping them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here