Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashita

Purple podded beans

ashita
10 years ago

Hi. Do you know, are there any purple podded beans that stay purple when you cook the pods? Might be frivolous, but they would look so good on a plate!

Ashita

Comments (14)

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Nope - I think they all lose the color when cooked. If you just blanch them quick they will keep most of it.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Ditto. Common beans with purple pods will turn green when cooked.

However, yardlong beans with purple or "red" pods (such as "Chinese Red Noodle") will retain most of their color after cooking. They will turn grayish, but a splash of vinegar will restore much of their burgundy color. I like them as a colorful side dish, but the flavor is different from regular snap beans.

• ashita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Life is full of excitement and revelations for a newbie! I learned today from observation that purple-podded beans are green when they first develop, and THEN go purple later. At least, my Amethyst dwarf beans do. Whatever's next ??!!

Ashita

• emmers_m
    10 years ago

I've been feeding SomeOne beans from my garden (including purple ones) for a few years now. Yesterday I brought him in a few young beans and handed them off to him while I shelled myself a big bowl of peas.

'Why are they black?' he asks.

'they are purple' I respond, 'and they'll turn green when they're cooked, unfortunately.' (As I also think it would be interesting to have some that stay purple.)

'That's amazing!' he exclaims. 'It's like alchemy!' and he proceeds to watch these beans steam with an eagle eye, providing commentary all the while.

sigh

~emmers

• ashita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I am wondering if I have left mine unpicked too long, as they seem to be turning greenish on the vine :- (

• catherinet
    10 years ago

I grew some purple pole beans awhile back (can't remember the name).......but I was totally bummed when they turned green when I cooked them. What a rip off! hahaha

• hementia8
    10 years ago

Martha Stewart stated in this mornings show,that a breeder would make a fortune if he could breed one that stayed purple after blanching
    She was creating some type of bean salad with a french name

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I wonder if dehydrating would set the color? An experiment to try this year... and whether the dehydrated beans would be palatable when re-hydrated.

• tormato
    10 years ago

My question is...

Is ANYTHING palatable after being dehydrated and then re-hydrated?

• cindy_ga
    10 years ago

Yes! Mushrooms are fabulous! Tomatoes, onions... And I hope to answer this better next winter!

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I actually like the taste and texture of regular green beans more; the only advantage of the purple podded ones is that they are more visible when picking.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Talking about purple podded beans , I have sowed some . Today I noticed they are poking out. AND they are starting as purple !! Amazing. Will the bushes/leaves/stems will be purple also ?

• carol_the_dabbler
    8 years ago

My favorite bush bean is Provider -- we like the flavor, it bears over a long season, and bugs don't much seem to bother it. My only (minor) complaint is that the green pods are hard to spot against the green plants. Can anyone recommend a purple-podded bush bean that's at all comparable to Provider?

Sponsored