Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple podded beans

Posted by ashita 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 6:17

Hi. Do you know, are there any purple podded beans that stay purple when you cook the pods? Might be frivolous, but they would look so good on a plate!

Ashita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple podded beans

Nope - I think they all lose the color when cooked. If you just blanch them quick they will keep most of it.

o

Ditto. Common beans with purple pods will turn green when cooked.

However, yardlong beans with purple or "red" pods (such as "Chinese Red Noodle") will retain most of their color after cooking. They will turn grayish, but a splash of vinegar will restore much of their burgundy color. I like them as a colorful side dish, but the flavor is different from regular snap beans.

o

Life is full of excitement and revelations for a newbie! I learned today from observation that purple-podded beans are green when they first develop, and THEN go purple later. At least, my Amethyst dwarf beans do. Whatever's next ??!!

Ashita

o

I've been feeding SomeOne beans from my garden (including purple ones) for a few years now. Yesterday I brought him in a few young beans and handed them off to him while I shelled myself a big bowl of peas.

'Why are they black?' he asks.

'they are purple' I respond, 'and they'll turn green when they're cooked, unfortunately.' (As I also think it would be interesting to have some that stay purple.)

'That's amazing!' he exclaims. 'It's like alchemy!' and he proceeds to watch these beans steam with an eagle eye, providing commentary all the while.

sigh

~emmers

o

Now I am wondering if I have left mine unpicked too long, as they seem to be turning greenish on the vine :- (

o

I grew some purple pole beans awhile back (can't remember the name).......but I was totally bummed when they turned green when I cooked them. What a rip off! hahaha

o

Martha Stewart stated in this mornings show,that a breeder would make a fortune if he could breed one that stayed purple after blanching
She was creating some type of bean salad with a french name

o

And tho the question wasn't asked, this answer is related. I have purple podded beans and my husband asked if they would stay purple if I fermented them in brine instead of cooking them. And the answer is....

they turn green in the lacto-ferment too. It was a nice idea...

Cindy

o

I wonder if dehydrating would set the color? An experiment to try this year... and whether the dehydrated beans would be palatable when re-hydrated.

o

My question is...

Is ANYTHING palatable after being dehydrated and then re-hydrated?

o

Yes! Mushrooms are fabulous! Tomatoes, onions... And I hope to answer this better next winter!

o

I actually like the taste and texture of regular green beans more; the only advantage of the purple podded ones is that they are more visible when picking.

o

Talking about purple podded beans , I have sowed some . Today I noticed they are poking out. AND they are starting as purple !! Amazing. Will the bushes/leaves/stems will be purple also ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here