Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Your beans may be the victim of earthworms!

anney
13 years ago

There is a fascinating discussion on the vegetable forum about an earthworm discovery -- apparently they can and will eat germinating beans as well as some other seedlings. The culprits appear to be nightcrawlers, the earthworms that come out of holes in the ground, not the ordinary earthworms that tunnel through the top few inches of soil helping process compost.

The title of the thread is Earthworms are eating my carrot tops!.

Maybe this is a justifiable reason to start beans inside if your beans just disappear with direct-sowing or never come up, as mine didn't after two sowings. The third sowing was a bit more successful, but still only about half of those came up.

Once the seedlings get going and growing above-ground, these earthworms seem to lose interest in them. They are all still considered to be beneficials, not pests!

Comments (6)

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Anney,

It is far more likely that seed don't germinate because of other problems than that earthworms eat the seed.

1. Planting too deeply will cause seed to fail. Some seed also needs light to germinate. Lettuce is an example of a seed that must have light for normal germination. Beans need to be planted between 1/2 and 2 inches deep depending on variety, soil type, temperature, moisture, etc.

2. Planting into dry soil will often lead to seed being destroyed by soil fungi. The problem is usually some combination of soil that is too cool or incorrect moisture levels. This is the reason so much commercial seed is treated with fungicides. Cowpeas are a classic example of a seed that normally germinates very well but under some conditions of low soil moisture will be destroyed by fungi.

3. Planting old or otherwise damaged seed is another problem. It is not a problem to plant healthy seed even if they are several years old. If they have been incorrectly stored, they may not germinate because the seed are dead. You can have the same problem with fresh seed. Guess what happens if you leave a bag of seed lying in direct sun for a few hours. Heat rapidly reduces germination of most seed.

4. Pests will destroy a lot of seed. I had serious problems with birds eating my peanut seed this year. They waited until the plants popped through the soil and then pulled up the plant to eat the cotyledons off the top.

I've tried many different ways of planting and figured out ways that work. Even so, I still have failures. To plant cowpeas, prepare a row by tilling deep to at least 4 inches. The soil must be pulverized. Plant 6 peas per hill with 15 inches between hills and 4 feet between rows. Some varieties of peas don't need as much space between rows and some need more. Piggott Family Heirloom peas are an example that can be planted on 40 inch row centers with excellent results. Red Ripper peas do much better if they are closer to 52 inch centers.

DarJones

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dar

I first thought that post was a joke, but since there are rather large crawling earthworms, maybe one can have an open mind.

The beans I had trouble with were Italian pole beans AND Italian bush beans. The first batch was poles and maybe were too old, since they were left over from the year before. The second batch planted in the same place was Italian bush beans. Maybe three out of 40-some came up alongside the six pole beans. Then I planted the replacement Romano pole beans sent to me by Vermont Bean Seed in the holes left in that same place. Maybe half of them germinated and grew. The soil temps were optimal for all of the plantings. Damned if I'm going to plant any more there!

My Fortex beans two rows over germinated and grew like crazy earlier in the season. And the remainder of my Willow Leaf Pole Limas germinated and grew just down the row from the Italian beans. Must be something about Italian beans....

I suppose that until you actually see and photograph huge earthworms devouring germinating seeds, there's no need to worry one way or the other.

I couldn't help but think that was a very funny post, even if true.

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Anney,

Maybe you have.....

Italian earthworms!

:)

DarJones

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julio Terrestrius and Umberto Caruso, Earthworms of the New Century! A duet by these guys will entrance you!

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

My first thought was birds -- that's what happened to my bush sugar snap peas.

Bean-eating earthworms... shades of TREMORS!

Sue

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Nightcrawlers will pull large quantities of plant debris into their holes. I mulch a lot, and the mounds near the holes become quite noticeable. They will pull green leaves into their holes if the leaves touch the ground. I've also noticed some damage to some of my caged peppers, where they touch the ground; judging by the burrows I find under the peppers, worms appear to be the culprits.

However, I do not believe they would destroy large numbers of beans in the ground. Rot is the most likely culprit, for the reasons given by Fusion. Beans decay incredibly quickly under the wrong conditions, you would be lucky to find a rotten one after several weeks.

If rot were the cause, then planting new beans in the same place would have exposed them to a high concentration of rot-causing & rot-loving organisms, which could destroy the new batch as well.

And speaking of rot... I had expected many of the beans I planted in my rural plot over the Memorial Day weekend to rot, since we have had nearly constant rain since then. The plot is in a low-laying area; rich silty soil, but the last of my plots to dry out (it flooded in 2008). Went there today to try to get some of my peppers & tomatoes in, and surprise! Nearly all of my beans & soybeans are up! Might still be a good year after all.

Sponsored