Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I make pole beans climb?

Posted by macheske 7 NorthernVA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 6:30

This is my first year planting pole beans. I have 160' of fortex, rattlesnake, and kentucky wonder. They are planted adjacent to field fence which I am using for a trellis, about 1' from the planting site. How do I get them to climb up the field fence? With cucumbers, it's easy. I just move the plant to the fence and they climb. With the pole beans, they are sending up runners but they seem a little brittle to pull to the fence. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I make pole beans climb?

When they get tall enough they will fall toward the fence and start wrapping themselves around anything they can find including each other. Be patient.

o

I usually give them a 'clue' where the fence is by just pushing the vines over to the trellis and gently hooking the vines on the trellis. Belinda is right, be patient. They can grow plenty tall before they need support. Once the vine has contact with the trellis, it wastes no time in wrapping around it. Always in a counter-clockwise direction viewed top-down.

o

Always in a counter-clockwise direction viewed top-down (snip)?

In Britain and other European countries they do the opposite: counter-clockwise when viewed from the base of the plant, ie the beans meet their support and start curling right and up. When viewed from top down, it appears as clockwise rotation.

Both runnerbeans and ordinary 'French' beans rotate in the same direction in Britain/Europe, although some gardening books state the opposite. It is helpful to observe how beans climb so that plants can be gently pulled towards a support and twisted around it in the right way. Provided the beans were long enough in the first place, they will stay and soon cling to their support tightly once they have been helped to climb in this way.

o

I've always noticed that climbing plants seem to sense tall items around them and instinctively grow towards them. Sometimes there's a rebel but it can usually be gently guided in the correct direction.

o

Sometimes mine twine around each other, but they eventually find the taller thing to start climbing up.
Sometimes, if its a smaller area of plants, I put a piece of string gently across them so that they lean more towards the fencing I want them to climb.

o

Catherinet,
Now that sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try that.
Thanks,
Rick

o

... Speaking of rebels, I have an Emerite bean that was "supposed" to grow up a column in the bean cage that is conveniently right in front of the plant. It chose, instead, to wrap around the olumn of it's neighbor's instead, about 6 inches away.

:D as long as it's climbing, I will leave it be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here