Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanuts - like no other?

Posted by nancedar z7 NCWakeForest (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 6:58

I grew peanuts in my small garden last year and had so much fun watching them make their little pegs. I am curious. Are there other plants that grow like this or is the peanut unique?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peanuts - like no other?

There is another, it is native to Africa and brought over to this country during the slave trade. It is very rare but still grown along the SC coast by the Gullah people on the Islands. I have grown it for a few years and have some growing now. It takes a long growing season so too late to start now otherwize I would send you some seed. But if you contact me in late fall I will send you some seed to try next year. The peanut replaced it commercially in this country and in many parts of Africa. But it can still be found growing on farms in Africa and by collectors such as myself and the few people who have maintained it for these past few centuries,but many still refer to the peanut by this plants African name. What is it?
The Goober pea.
Also called ground nut, or another African name Pindar. It was picked green and boiled pod and all(sound familiar) the dry seed was ground and used as a flour and seed was also roasted and used as a coffee by slaves and Poor southerners during the Civil war and reconstruction. This plant has long narrow leaves blooms with yellow pea like flowers similiar to the peanut puts down a peg then forms a pod with two seeds tha look like chickpeas it takes about 120 days to mature and vines will sprawl about three feet in each direction. Mine are small but I will post a picture here in a few days.
By the way the Peanut is native to Brazil and was brought to europe by the spanish in the 16th century. It was extremely popular in Africa since it reqired similar growing conditions and was similiar to the goober pea. In the 17th century when the Emglish brought slaves to this country the goober pea, field peas, Okra and Sweet potatoes(another american crop) where brought by the slave ships as food for the cargo. Excess stores were then sold at the slave auctions as feed for the ladorers and planted as a feed crop for the laborers. Rodger

o

Here is the update on the Goober peas first picture is the plant
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Secound is the bloom
And lastly the seed peg forming
Notice no goobers were harmed in the taken of these pictures.
Novice gardeners should not try this on your home garden. Use your neighbors for experimenting.

o

I have read about a kind of peanut used as ground cover.They are quick in spreading and have roots going deep in ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here