Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-rusting concrete mesh for trellis?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 8:18

I've read several posts about people using concrete mesh material as trellis support for beans and cukes and I'm totally into the idea. From pictures posted, I've seen people using it where it looks very nice and not terribly worn. I went to our local Lowe's to buy some, and the roll that they had to sell from in the store was already so rusty everywhere that it looked more orange than grey metal.

What the heck? Is there some special coated concrete mesh material that everyone else is using? I'm not wild about the idea of that ugly rusting hulk dominating my garden, and I fear that if it fares so poorly in the temp control of the store, how much worse outside in the sun and rain of a garden?

Where did you get yours? Is yours a special kind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-rusting concrete mesh for trellis?

The rust is no big deal unless you are real picky. It will last for many years. I have some CRW tomato cages that are 10 years old and still in perfect shape.

You can buy galvanized cattle wire at Tractor Supply if you want non rusting. It's more expensive and usually hard to find any with the holes big enough to reach through to pick your veggies.

o

This link might interest you from Mother Earth News.

Here is a link that might be useful: M.E.N. wire mesh

o

Funny as it might sound, I prefer the CRW mesh because it rusts. The rust provides a rough surface for the plants to cling to, and weathers to a dark brown / near black if left outdoors. The mesh is very durable in spite of the rust. I've actually had more problems with my galvanized wire fencing breaking off at the welds than I have had with CRW... I've got CRW tomato cages that are over 15 years old.

o

I love my mesh panels that we use for sugar snap peas and other vining vegetables. It's the perfect height although one year my sugar snaps got over 6' tall. I plant about a 4" wide row so some of the outer plants don't get a good grab on the mesh. We add some twine to keep the plants from falling away from the mesh.

The tomato cages made from a more flexible mesh are probably 30 years old.

I don't notice the rust. The panels are held in place with steel posts and zip ties. They stay out all winter and we enjoy watching the birds sit on the fencing waiting for tasty insects to come by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here