Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to start over?

Posted by Daisyjoy5 7 _ NW GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 9:24

This is my first year ever growing beans. I planted three types of beans on 04/24 - two types of pole beans and one bush bean. None of the bush beans have come up at all, and a lot of the pole beans did but were eaten or just didn't grow. I'm not really sure where I went wrong, since when they first sprouted it looked like it was going to go well. But now I only have about 5 or 6 plants growing on the trellis.

I live in NW GA - seeing as it's already June, I was wondering if it would be too late to try and plant more in the spaces that didn't produce. I'm really not sure how many beans I'll get out of those few that are growing, and I hope it's at least enough for a dinner!

I'd really like to try the bush beans again but I'm worried it's too late to start at this point. Same for the pole beans. I have seeds left over still. Should I just deal with what I have? I can't seem to find out how long it takes from sowing to harvesting.

I'm really regretting thinning my early risers out now - I planted every 3" and thinned to 6" but then lost over half of that. So sad.

Last question, and it's possibly a stupid one, but is there a way to speed up the process if I *do* plant more seeds now?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to start over?

I hope it's not too late for pole beans. I haven't put in any yet and I'm about to just as soon as I can get to them.

Bush beans are definitely not too late yet. They take two months to produce the first wave, then another week or two for the second wave and they're done pretty much. I'd plant bush beans all the way up through the end of July without worrying about them. It's kind of warm, but would be cooler when picking.

o

Ditto on the comments by Chris, regarding bush snaps. There is still plenty of time left to plant. Last year, I put in bush beans over the July 4th weekend, and froze enough beans to last through the winter. That took a lot of beans... winters are long here. ;-)

With your more favorable climate, Daisyjoy, nothing is out of reach at this point. You should be able to plant any beans you wish until somewhere around the end of June, and bush beans for at least most of July. To put things in perspective, I am just now planting my beans in Wisconsin, and I expect to get dry seed for most of them before frost.

You may find that you get better germination in the later plantings, since the soil is warmer than it was when you first planted.

o

I live in NorthEast Ga and I just got my bush beans in last week. They were up in 4 days. I got the pole beans in 2 days ago and am looking for them to be up soon. They grow fast in this warm weather and if you keep them watered they grow like crazy. It is not too late! I have added to rows that didn't germinate well and they all produced about the same time-so go for it.

We had weird weather this year--very cool even at Mother's day. The warm weather came late this spring so most things are a little late.

o

Thanks everyone! I did end up re-planting where nothing germinated, so I got in another two and a half rows basically, with a half a row of bush beans. We shall see! The weather is certainly weird... I don't know if they will love or hate the fact that it has rained every day with hot sun in the afternoon.

The row that was successful is now flowering so we'll see how much I get from those! I really appreciate all the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here