Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fava bean advice

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:32

I planted fava's for the first time sometime during the fall or winter. I don't remember exactly when.
I covered them once or twice to protect from the cold and they seemed to pull thru the winter just fine.
They were covered with blooms in April.
As of yesterday they have about 4 or 5 small pods. When I say small I mean 1 or 2 beans in each.
The plants looked either black like they were dying or white like powdery mildew.
I cut them off at ground.
Any advice on growing fava's would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fava bean advice

It's a learning process. I grew them for the first time last year.. I planted them last October since they like cool weather... They were neglected for the two months I wasnt here, starting December, and I was left with only 3 small wilted plants out of 6. All mine have already died off for this summer... The leaves turned black on the last plant and I pulled it. I did get beans at around April but the beans can cause the plant to fall over and damage the stem, so the plans need some sort of support. I got 12 bean pods out of 2 1/2 plants. I kept three big pods for seed. Next year, I'm planting them in full sun in October and tying them to stakes... Planting them in shade was a mistake last year... I noticed they had better growth once the shaded area had become sunny during the spring...

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 18:10

April I had maybe 10 plants with lots of flowers

o

That plant looks healthier and larger than mine did but I can't say why you got so few beans this year... Mine were like bean making machines but kept braking from the weight of the abundant small pods. That's one of the reasons I got so few good pods.

o

The favas in the photo look as if they are thirsty. The leaves shouldn't be wilting like that. They also look a little lanky judging by the length of stem between the nodes. Favas do not need nitrogen but they do need water when they are setting pods. Favas do need some support. Not poles but a string run up one side of the row and down the other with a stake at each end. I've never had them break from the weight of pods.

I am harvesting them now and still have a row to flower and another just emerging. Temp here today is 70 and it's the hottest day of the year so far. We have also had copious rain. So that gives an idea of the conditions they like. I suspect in Texas they are just too hot.

What cultivar did you plant? Were they a garden variety or just field forage beans?

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 17:56

I planted the Sweet Lorane Fava Bean.
They got about 4' tall but never seemed to need staking.

o

It isn't exactly staking. More like gentle tidying. If you live in a rainy climate wet favas will flop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here