Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

faq

cateyanne
15 years ago

Are there no FAQS for the this thread, or am I blind?

thanks

Cathy

Comments (12)

• jimster
    15 years ago

Your eyes aren't fooling you, Cathy. There are no FAQs here yet. The forum is just two years old. Perhaps adding FAQs is a bit overdue but I think we now have a good base of information in the threads and, once the gardening season winds down, some folks will get to work on FAQs.

Jim

• P POD
    15 years ago

Should we start collecting posts/pics/topics that we found particularly helpful?

Not whole threads, just posts.

Starting points, of sorts, for a FAQ.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Sure. Why not?

Since this thread already has the title "FAQ", we could use it as a collecting place. We have the ability to title each message individually, which is not often used but would be helpful for this.

I've considered ways of organizing the proposed FAQs, submitting revisions to them, etc. But that could get complicated. At this stage perhaps we should just get a lot of proposed FAQs out on the table, then work on editing and organizing them.

Any thoughts?

Jim

• P POD
    15 years ago

Just a suggestion....

Organize information into categories, like:

Âdefine & describe w/pics the various beans + growing habits, temp. requirements, days to maturity, pics of seeds, pics of plants:
    ---bush, pole, snap, wax, Southern peas, runner, yardlong, lima, fava, soy, sweet peas, pea cover crops, etc.
    Â soil
    ---requirements
    ---ferts
    Âplanting & growing
    ---supports for pole beans
    Âpest control
    ---organic
    ---conventional

• jimster
    15 years ago

Having categories would be fine. I suggest that we don't try to develop categories off the top of the head. Instead, I suggest the categories be derived by sifting through the archived threads to identify the questions which are...ta da..."frequently asked".

Jim

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Maybe have a bean seed saving section:

• Spacing requirements
    • Cross pollination
    • How to harvest
    • How to store

Dean

• P POD
    15 years ago

Here's one idea that I thought merited inclusion (w/a little editing). The idea is unique and valuable to many growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharing a tip about bush beans I learned long ago

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is exciting! As a newbie I have no experience growing beans, etc. and there seems to be a good deal of basic do's and dont's that would help me out a lot. As well as learning how to get the best out of the "beany" experience. Yeah!!
    Cathy

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Maybe for newer people(including myself here) maybe some very brief basic "Dos and Donts".

Dean

• jimster
    15 years ago

Here are a few questions which I think qualify as "frequently asked". They weren't selected very systematically. They are just questions which seemed to appear in various forms several times in the forum. My purpose in posting them is to provide a few concrete examples to further the discussion. I'm not necessarily proposing that these are questions to be used in a FAQ.

Which beans will cross with each other?

What is a good way to support pole beans?

What spacing is best for bush beans?

What spacing is best for pole beans?

What happened to the seeds I planted?

Is legume inoculant necessary?

What is eating the leaves of my beans?

How early can I plant beans?

Do bush beans need support?

Do cow peas need support?

How can saved seed be kept true to type?

Jim

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Great topics, Jim--Maybe also one on trellising?

• Etta T
    6 years ago

yes I realize this is an old post but I am wondering where the FAQ is? Does this site have one yet?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery