Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_eatonton

Bean successes and planning

cindy_eatonton
12 years ago

Sorry - this is long...

I'm amazed at this year's bean production so far. Since we didn't have a frost for the entire month of March - I planted pole beans 4/2. The bush beans went in on 4/19.

The Hilda beans (pole - 60 day ETA) were first harvested 5/13 (41 days). Bush beans (Provider - 50 days) on 5/19 (30 days!) and wax beans (Rocdor - 53 days) were first harvested on 5/22 (33 days). We are still harvesting some, but they are petering out. (I'm considering clipping the bush beans to see if I can get another round.)

From a 6 foot row of pole beans and 6 SF of bush beans, I've harvested over 18 pounds of beans in much less time than I'd expected. Later planted beans aren't growing quite as fast, but are still ahead of projected dates. And taste is very good.

So - finally the question - I had not expected these types of yields or speed - last year my beans were grief until very late in the season. Is this typical? Or did I do something really right? ;-) I am trying to get a handle on what to expect for bean growth in the south (this is my third year gardening in GA). At the rate that I am producing beans - I could probably plant about 1/2 - 3/4 and have enough for fresh and freezing and giving some away!

My garden is raised beds (about 12 inches high above hardpan clay). The soil is a mix of GA topsoil, some manufactured type soil (for lightening the clay soil) and homemade compost. Lots of worms in the bed. The beans are well-mulched with some newspaper and straw on top. I use soaker hose and pump in lakewater. And apparently have enough sunshine! Opinions welcome!

Cindy

Comments (3)

• dlsm
    12 years ago

HI Cindy,

I planted my Helda pole beans february 10 and they made more than I could eat. So I shared them with family and friends until the hot weather got them. I saved all the seed I need for my fall crop.

I think your Hilda and my Helda are the same bean. Mine is a flat Italian style bean, 8 or 9 inches lone. Is yours the same?

I also use raised beds and make my own potting mix. Here in Florida the nematodes make it impossible to grow certain vegetables. Plus the soil is very poor.

Cindy, I think you got it right this year. So remember to do the same next year. The season will change from year to year. So just play it by ear.

I have never been able to freeze green beans. They always turn out mushy. The commercial process is different, as the ones you buy don't taste mushy.

Luther

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Luther,

I think Helda and Hilda are the same bean - I grew Helda a couple years ago, couldn't find it again and bought Hilda. It's a Romano and is 8-12 inches long - very tasty!

Nematodes sound awful. My current problem is bean leaf beetles - not a huge number, but enough to put holes in leaves and some beans.

I freeze by barely blanching beans - have an old fryer basket that I use to dip beans in boiling water for about 1.5 minutes. Then I chill in ice water, spread out on a cookie sheet in one layer, freeze quick, then sweep the frozen beans into a vacuum bag and package again. When putting wet beans into the bags - they seem to not seal as well and get mushy.

I usually only top the beans - don't cut them - I think that helps too. They aren't perfect, but I like them better than canning/pickling.

Thank you for your response! I'm not sure what I did right - but it's a good thing!

Cindy

• dlsm
    12 years ago

Cindy, I will have to try your method of freezing green beans. But here where I live I can grow them in the spring and late fall. So I can have all the fresh green beans I can handle for the year.

During the hot summer months we can only grow certain vegetables. Don't know if you like cowpeas or not, but they are several varieties that are really good. Here is a picture of a newly planted raised bed of cowpeas. Also in the background is several varieties of pole butterbeans/limas. Green beans will not grow in this hot weather. This is the only time of the year we can't grow tomatoes. The blossoms won't set in this hot weather.

My Cowpeas.

Good luck to you in you new area.

Luther

Sponsored