Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Fortex harvest

Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 10:29

Oh, yum!

2 pounds Fortex pole beans

Two pounds of Fortex pole beans, one for the neighbors and one for us. These were produced by a double 8-foot row of seeds. I left as many small ones as the number I picked.

We'll also have some zucchini tonight from our HUGE Caserta squash plant, a zucchini that I planted as a trap crop for cucumber beetles. It's also very attractive to squash bugs, which I dispatch when I can catch them, but both insects are ignoring the patty pan squash planted a month later, which was my intention!

Caserta Squash, close

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Fortex harvest

Yum is right, we're a long way from eating fresh beans here. Some of mine are just starting to climb their netting, others just have their first true leaves, the rice beans are flowering but no beans forming yet. Had to replace my cucumber plants yesterday some little %$#$% ate them during the night. I see we have the same kneeling stool I've had mine for years, mine is pretty beat up but it still does the job. This spring has been very wet and cool, the slugs and snails are loving it.

Annette

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 11:37

Annette

That kneeling stool was bright pink when I bought it and has weathered to a pristine white!

Yes, I can imagine you aren't digging into the beans yet so far north of us, and I felt bad because denninmi posted at the same time about not even having planted beans yet. But it sounds like your beans are doing what beans do and you'll have some in 3-4 weeks.

I've been very nervous about my two cucumber plants, hoping no critter will find them delicious.

We saw deer tracks last week out in the field beyond the raised beds, so it's time to set up my Scarecrow motion-activated sprinkler as soon as I get the battery later today. The link gives an excellent demo of how they work. I'm not going to put the decals on the sprinkler since they apparently scare small birds.

o

My Fortex beans are now coming in also. This is my first time for Fortex and I could not be more pleased with how prolific they are compared with my Kentucky Wonders which seem to be running several weeks behind. The Fortex beans are very firm and flavorable and will probably be my first choice again next season.

Larry

o

I love them too. This is my first year to try them as well. I like not having strings on the beans. (HAVE ANYONE TRIED SAVING SEEDS TO PLANT FOR FOLLOWING YEAR?)

o

gardenall, educate yourself about inbreeder crops. Fortex beans are natural inbreeders. They are maintained by..... saving seed every year.

let the beans mature until the pods turn a yellowish color and the seed are full and plump. Harvest enough pods for the amount of seed you want and promptly shell them and lay them on a tray in a thin layer so they can dry. After 3 or 4 weeks, they should be dry enough to put in a ziploc bag and drop into the freezer.

DarJones

o

Yummy! Thank you all for introducing Fortex to me - it is by far the most delicious. I planted them late and only along an 18" metal arch. But it is producing a lot - enough for the 2 of us 3 times a week.

o

This is my first year with Fortex beans, I will be able to start picking in a day or two. I was wondering what is your favorite way of cooking? Always on the lookout for new ideals. Looking forward to tasting them.
Josieoh-05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here