Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Bush Beans

Posted by booberry85 z5NY (becky@leadsafe.us) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 11:09

I received some mystery beans in a swap I participated in some time ago. The only things I know about them is that they are heirlooms and bush beans. They were a mix of different beans. I do not know if they are snap beans or shell beans. If it helps, I got them in the Purpleacres Edible swap earlier this year.

Now for the question. Can shell beans be eaten as snap beans?

Now to hunt through some catalogs & try and find out what they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Bush Beans

The only way to tell if a shelly can be used for a snap is to try. Some can and some can't. I have one bean which is really best for dry seed. If I pick the pods really really small I can get away with eating them as snaps. But, it's not worth it.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Heirloom Bush Beans

Thanks for the info, George.

I realized it was kind of cruel to post about my dilemma and not describe the bean seeds. There are at least 6 different kinds.

1. The smallest one is white & kidney shaped but a quarter of the size of a kidney bean. Flageolet bean?

2. The second is a small tan bean, bigger than the first but still maybe one third the size of a kidney bean. It looks like a bean you would use to make typical baked beans.

3. The third is a beige bean with black speckles, almost twice as large as the second. Refugee bean?

4. This next one is slightly large then the third. It is beige with black swirls. Peregion bean?

5. The fifth is on par in size to the fourth. It is beige with darker beige swirls.

6. The sixth is slightly larger. It is beige with a red swirl. It could be Boston Favorite or Cranberry.

After my brief research, it seems like most of these are shelling beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here