Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Advice on where to place trellis?

emcd124
11 years ago

Greetings gardeners! I'm a novice/apprentice gardener. I started two years ago when we lived in Nashville, but now I've got my own house with a yard up in Z5b northern Indiana, so this is my first season gardening in earnest, so I'm trying some new (and northern) crops out.

This may be a total newb question, but I'm trying to figure out how to orient my trellis. I want to grow some pole beans on it in the summer, peas in the fall. And it may share some space with cucumbers.

Here's the layout: we have a row of tall arborvitae across the back of our yard, which is the east side of the yard. That means everything in my garden gets no morning sun, but gets about eight hours+ of sun from noon onwards.

I am going to put up a metal post with trellis netting on it that will stand about five or six feet tall into the dirt patch at the back (Southeast) corner of my yard. Here's where I start feeling stupid, I'm not sure which way to face it. I could have it with its back up against the arborvitae (so the Left pole was north and the rightside pole was on the south), so none of the cukes would shade each other, and they wouldnt really shade the rest of the garden any more than the arborvitae were already going to. OR I could turn it 90 degrees so it runs along the fence between my house and my neighbors house. There's a bit more space there, more breathing room. Oriented that way, the left pole would be to the east and the rightside pole of the support would be on the west. Though that way it seems like the cukes all the way to the left would be squished between the arborvitae's shade and the shade of their brothers to the right.

I feel like there is a right answer here, and I'm too confused to figure it out. Is there a smarter gardener out there who can advise a poor, eager newbie?

Comments (2)

Sponsored