Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skeletonized leaves

Posted by mariabee 6KY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 11:19

My Goose beans are about 6 inches tall, and beautiful, except that some of the leaves are getting holey, a few to the point of skeletons. They're not too far gone to save, but I'd like to stop the destruction. What is causing this, and do you have any suggestions for organic control? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skeletonized leaves

Mexican bean beetle is the most likely source of the problem. They will destroy the crop is left unchecked.

Pediobius foveolatus, a MBB predator wasp, is an organic control. It will not give you immediate results though. Search this forum for Mexican and you will get two threads about controlling MBB.

For immediate results, rotenone or spinosad can be used. I believe rotenone is certified for organic use. There was a recent thread on the Vegetable Growing forum about rotenone.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Bean Beetle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here