Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good beans to plant for fall harvest?

Posted by charmed 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 11:35

Hello all. I'm pretty new to vegetable gardening. In the past I've had tomatoes and peppers in pots, and last year and this year I've added cukes, squash, dragon tongue beans, and some herbs. I planted the beans only because my kids found some that I'd saved from years ago when I worked on a csa -- to my surprise, 4 out of the 9 that we planted sprouted and are now growing nicely. I don't know if we'll get a harvest or not, but I thought it'd be fun to try planting some more beans for a fall crop. I'm especially fond of eating fresh limas and fresh favas, but am open to anything really. I'd appreciate any advice on what might be a good bean to plant in zone 7 (Baltimore City to be exact) for a fall crop, and also the best time to plant it -- any ideas? Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good beans to plant for fall harvest?

Any reasonably early bush bean should work.

I'm in zone 7 in North Carolina and my ag agent said that beans should be planted here in May once the soil is warm then again in late July when the nights begin to cool.

o

Here in the deep South we plant a shellie we call, "October Bean". We plant in mid July for harvest in October. They are a bush bean but may have short runners. It appears to be an oversized pinto and is very delicious when picked mature but tender. They're OK as a greenbean but not as good as Roma II in my opinion.
The nearest I've found in the seed catalogs is French Horticulture.

o

Last year I planted Derby & Purple Queen snap bush beans in mid July. Both did great and produced like gang busters!

o

Thanks for the suggestions all -- I found another packet of the dragon tongues in my freezer, so I'm going to try them and also look for the varieties recommended above.

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 23:51

Since you're in the South, I'm going to point you in the direction of some great resources of information on Southern heirloom beans (and a few places to purchase seeds).
Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center
pics
Southern Seed Legacy

Hope you chose to grow some of these beans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here