Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edamame

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 11:40

I planted two rows of Edamame 2 weeks ago and none of the seed has come up while almost all my other been seeds are up. Anyone know if this is normal or maybe the seeds were just bad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edamame

Have not had any problems with soybean germination including edamame. They may take a few days longer than a common bean when conditions are good. They don't like cold wet soil and need higher temps than common beans, so typically they are planted several weeks later than the first planting of common beans. Bad seed may be a possibility, but I would suspect soil conditions first. Tohya photo Tohya2_zpsd7301564.jpg

o

Ditto on Farmerdill's comments... while bad seed is possible, soil conditions are the most likely culprit. I put in several soybeans this year just before drenching day-long rains, and germination has been poor. Those in the lowest, wettest spot rotted.

Two weeks is a bit long, but cool conditions can delay germination. If you are Zone 4a, I'm guessing that you might have experienced some of the same heavy rainfall which hit central Wisconsin. You could try (gently) digging up a few seeds to see what's going on; if they are dead, it is not too late to replant soybeans for edamame.

o

On 4/26, I planted some Disoy soybean and not a single seed germinated. Right next to the Disoy I planted the Edamame - Butterbean and got almost 100% germination. So in my case I believe it was bad seed or the Disoy needs warmer soil than the Edamame.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here