Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbits

Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 11:53

From time to time, Zeedman has posted about rabbit damage to his beans. That did not seem to be a problem here. I had a realistic looking plastic owl on a post overlooking the garden and last winter it broke in a storm.

A week ago, the rabbits discovered my garden. They did not care about peas, cabbage or broccoli but they went after the beans which had one set of true leaves and a small growing tip. They would eat the true leaves and sometimes the growing tip. They took out a trellis of Hazard Fall beans leaving only two intact. They also took out a couple of Red Eye Greasy plants and several of other types.

I put out traps baited with apples and carrots with no success so far. I also bought a new owl and this morning there were a couple rabbits frolicking around the base of its pole.

So far, shooting them is the only option that seems to work.

There has been no more damage in the last few days and many of the damaged plants are valiantly trying to grow their second set of true leaves on otherwise bare stalks. I do not hold out much hope for those. - Dick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbits

Most folks around here use Milorgonite to repel deer and also as a fertilizer
As much as it stinks it ought to repel rabbts also
I would think spraying the ajoining area with ammnia would also work
I spray my yard with 10 percent ammonia before I plant to kill off slugs
It turns to a soluable nitrogen source in a few days.
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 14:40

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 17:18

Thank you Charlie. There seems to be a lot of evidence for both remedies. - Dick

o

Nylon tulle is another method other than DOGS, GUNS, TRAPS, CHASING AND YELLING....d:

Or: How about setting up a nice table for them with some fresh carrots? They also love Fenugreek.

Seriously , on FENUGREEK, it can be co-planted in the spaces between the beans. So that you use some and the rabbits eat some and the soil gets some free nitrogen too.

o

Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 11:20

Thank you seysonn. Fenugreek sounds better than the nuclear device I was considering! :-D

o

Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:35

I finally settled on Milorganite and bird scare tape streamers.

The plants that were missing the first true leaves but still had the growing tip appear to be recovering some. The second true leaves are actually larger on some plants than those on the plants that were not damaged.

o

DH finally rigged up a chicken wire fence around the beans. It makes them somewhat hard to reach ( have to climb over it , and watch where I step to work the middle of the bed ), but it seems to be the only thing to keep the rabbits out. The only other thing they like to eat is the Swiss Chard, but they hide in the potatoes and have the plants beaten down in the center of the bed.
That stupid dog of ours likes to chase them,but she hasn't caught one yet. .
Saw several baby rabbits out there now, so we may have to get more chicken wire . A few years ago DH got some "rabbit proof" plastic fencing and put it around the whole garden, then I watched out my kitchen window as a rabbit stood on it's hind legs and chewed a hole in it. I was so mad, I got out the air gun. Missed the rabbit but put a hole in the shed.

o

Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 9:42

Our cat catches and eats the smaller ones but the adults are too fast.

It looks like the bird scare tape and Milorganite may be working. Or maybe it was the air rifle. Even the Hazard Fall beans may recover.

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 21:41

I mentioned that the rabbits ate the first true leaves off of an entire trellis of Hazard Fall beans leaving only two plants intact. The rest were very sad looking bare stalks with a tiny bud at the tip. Fourteen feet of disaster.

As of today the damaged plants are climbing fine and look very similar to the two that were not damaged. - Dick

o

The year that I had the most damage to my beans, I attributed it to rabbits, because I often saw a couple fat rabbits leaving my rural garden (or visible nearby) when I arrived. It turned out that most of the damage was done by this fellow:

photo GardenPictures240.jpg

My gardens are now fenced high for deer, and with chicken wire low to keep out the rabbits. Occasionally a rabbit gets in late in the season (usually to have a brood), but except for soybeans - which they will destroy - the damage is generally minor. At the first sign of major damage, I break out the live trap... I've caught two ground hogs so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here