Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Fertilize Cowpeas?

anney
14 years ago

Many sites recommend "A HREF="http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/cowpea.shtml">no fertilization for this bean because they "supply their own nitrogen", but at least one research site claims that yield is greater if cowpeas are fertilized under one specific condition.

This site claims that if sites where cowpeas are grown have little organic matter, the yield is greater if nitrogen in added. If the soil has 2% or more of organic matter, fertilization made no difference!

So how in the world do you know if your soil has 2% of organic matter? I planted mine in an area where corn has been grown for years and then is disked under.

Comments (3)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I guess what you should do is have your soil tested for specifics but the soil here is so poor that I fertilize every bed when I prepare it in the spring. I try to add as much compost as I possibly can and since I use compost and sometimes (often) not quite composted compost..I always add a garden fertilizer...not much but enough to give the bed a boost. The first year or two that I gardened, I didn't do that and while the garden was OK...the third year I added some fertilizer and I had a bountiful year ...that's what works for me ...I am not saying that it is something that everyone should do...just what I do.

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruthie, so your cowpeas in particular did well with that regimen?

In the past, I have fertilized everything in the garden except Spring peas and cowpeas. Almost everything has grown well for me too, with the exception of those two. Maybe I should rethink "no fertilization" for them -- neither one has been terribly productive. So I went ahead and top-dressed the cowpeas, which are about five inches tall now. I'll see if they do better this way.

• tedposey
    14 years ago

If corn stalks have been turned under for a few years there is enough organic matter in the soil. Cowpeas extract their own nitrogen from the air and do not need any additional but a little additional does not hurt them. They do need potassium and phosphorous though so I add a little bit of 10-10-10 to them.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012