Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Suggest a fast growing pole legume for Z5?

emcd124
11 years ago

I have a teepee with five poles that I was hoping to fill all around so my three year old son could enjoy it as his own secret fort in the garden. Unfortunately, the beans I planted around two of the poles died when the rabbits nibbled them down to nothing, and I dont have any more seed to reseed them. I have purple podded pole beans growing and one pole of scarlet runners.

I haven't grown any legumes before, but I would love it if some of the more experienced gardeners on here could suggest something that I could grow on those other two poles that would crop in time for me to harvest still in Zone 5 (northern indiana). It has to be vertical, so I'm interested in pole rather than bush beans. I'd like something that is pretty easy to grow, as I am still a bit of a novice so I dont do too well with very finicky plants. But beyond that I'm open. It could be a cowpea or any number of unusual or interesting legume, so long as you think its worth eating.

And if you recommend something really unusual, perhaps let me know where I could lay hands on it? If you have something to offer for trade I can either send a SASE or trade, but I'm just starting out so I dont have much to trade, I only have a few kinds of peas that I'll plant in the fall, and nothing else in legumes, but I have some lettuce, rocket, kale etc seed for trade if anyone is interested in that.

Thank you so much for all your help. Pretty much everything I learned about gardening I learned here on these forums...

Comments (5)