Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

Thinking About Next Year -- Multiple Bean Questions

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

I had to plant what I had on hand because I couldn't afford much in the way of new seeds. But as I look at the various beans I've got growing, I'm wondering how I might be improving my selection of varieties next year.

If possible, I grow only purple and yellow beans -- for their beauty, for their relative immunity to Mexican Bean Beetles, and for their ease of harvest (because I like to get several pickings from the same plants rather than replant every couple weeks). My time-tested favorites are Dragon Langerie and Royalty Purple Pod.

I'm slowing getting DH to build me more and more trellis so I'm wanting to add more pole beans.

This year I'm growing Royal Burgundy, Dragon Langerie, State Half-Runner, and Trionfo Violetta.

I have tried Rattlesnake in the past and found it hardy but inferior in quality. I tried the Purple Pod pole bean Johnny's sells when I was in New England with poor results. I don't know if its worth a try in a warmer zone.

I know what the standard varieties in seed catalogs are, but what's out there in the heirloom and specialty market in the way of purple and yellow pole beans?

Are there purple half-runners?

Are there purple or yellow romano-types?

Are there some varieties I should avoid in this zone?

And could someone tell a transplanted Yankee about growing cowpeas for use as snap beans?

Comments (10)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Yellow Romano type -Supernano Marconi Gold
    Lots of purple and wax beans out there, but most are round to oval types. Purple Queen is my favorite, but you have Purple Teepee, Royal Burgundy, Royalty. Wax beans too nunerous to list.
    Cowpeas and thier subset Yardlong/Asparagus beans (Vigna unguiculata) are not closely related to snap beans ( Phaseolous vulgaris). The Yardlong/Asparagus bean is grown for its edible pods, but most other cowpeas have edible pods when young. Grown mostly for green or dry shell peas however. Flavor is quite different and adapted to different cooking styles than snap beans. They don't taste quite like asparagus either. Great in stir fries and Chinese dishes. They handle hot southern summers well. Available in both bush and vining forms.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. The description on the Supernano Marconi Gold sounds interesting -- a yellow, half-runner, Romano would be an excellent addition to my bean selection.

I'm happy with the current yellow and purple bush beans -- Dragon Langerie is the bean I plant when I can only grow one and Royal Burgundy Purple Pod is a definite improvement on the old Royalty Purple Pod for my purposes (which may not be anyone else's purposes so anyone inclined towards purple beans should try both).

So its the pole and half-runner types in yellow and purple that I'm wondering about.

As for the cowpeas, I won't say that you couldn't pay me to eat beans in the shell stage, but it wouldn't come cheap. ;-) :-D LOL I've never enjoyed limas, shell beans, or any form of dry bean except lentils and garbanzos. Are there any particular cowpea varieties that are better as snap beans than others?

I'm enjoying learning to grow the heat-loving veggies I've never had before.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

There are quite a few pole wax beans, Most popular is the Kentucky Wonder , wax ; Torrento D'oro; Wach's Goldbohne; Yellowstone; Gold of Bacau; Goldfield; Gold Marie; Lilaschecke; Marvel of Venice; Swedish Yellow Flat; Neckargold etc. There are a half dozen or so purple pole beans. Don't how many of them are same appearing under different names.
    Don't know any half runner types in wax or purple.
    If you are serious about only wanting the edible pods, I would go with yardlong/long/Asian/asparagus type. You will find them listed by various companies under one or more of these names.

• P POD
    14 years ago

Farmer, you say that Purple Queen is your favorite. Would you care to say what makes this particular variety stand out and be superior to the many other purple pole beans you've tried? I'd love to know and perhaps try growing it.
    Taste?
    Yield?
    Early to mature?
    Good for freezing?
    Other?

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Purple Queen is a bush bean, sort of a followup to the original purple bush Royalty. It holds quality better than Royalty or Royal Burgundy and is more productive under my conditions. Less tendency to get shucky. Otherwise in the same class.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've never tried Purple Queen. Holding quality is definitely desirable.

Does it have the same trait of putting on new growth to produce a second or even third flush of beans after the first picking that I value so highly in Royal Burgundy?

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Heat takes out all bush beans, so I don't normally get 2nd and 3rd flushes on any of them. Bush beans, or even pole beans for that matter, burn up in July and August., sometimes late June. Summer is for limas and cowpeas. I grew Royalty in southwest Virginia in the 70's, but don't remember it as particularly everbearing even tho I could grow them all summer. Of course, I have a tendency to get two pickings, plow down and plant again.
    {{gwi:1026489}}
    {{gwi:1026491}}
    {{gwi:1022061}}

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gorgeous photos.

IMO, purple beans are beautiful enough for the flower garden.

• P POD
    14 years ago

Thanks Farmer for the information and the georgeous pics. I guess the color variation between top and bottom photo has to do with direct/indirect sun on the beans?

The dark purple beans in the top photo look very similar to the pole bean, Blauhilde, which, slugs permitting, I'm growing again this summer (19 plants from 20 seeds planted (my last seeds, so this year I must save seeds!).

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Some is lighting, but the Purple Queen (bottom photo) tends a little more toward violet than Royalty (top Photo) which is a deeper purple. Middle photo is Royal Burgandy, which is a shade lighter than Royalty.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH