Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to dry pole beans

Posted by LeighBee none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 12:21

So I'm new to gardening, and am figuring out what I'm doing by trial and error/google. :)

Our pole beans went crazy and before I knew it, had turned over ripe. I picked the green (but overripe) pods anyway, but now am wondering if I can salvage them to use later. My questions now are:

1. Can I shell and dry them? Will they taste good later?

2. Should I shell them now, and let the beans dry out, or

3. Should I leave them in the green pods (picked) pods and let them dry before shelling?

4. After drying, how do I store them, and how long will they be good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to dry pole beans

Freeze them instead. Shell out over mature beans and put them in quart ziploc bags in the freezer. They should be at the green mature stage to do this. If they are already dried out, then you can shell them and store them as dry beans for later use.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here