Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's getting my pole beans?

Posted by marymac Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 13:06

Help!!! There is something getting my pole beans. Not long after they emerge from the ground something snaps them off, and I have found some plants that have been growing and are completely pulled out by the roots. I have tried to watch for the varmint but all I ever see are Robins. Could they be doing this?. My mother in law once told me birds were getting her beans, but I just don't see Robins doing this. If it is birds how can I put a stop to it before they ruin my entire crop. I have replanted but it seems to be a losing battle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's getting my pole beans?

Sometimes an animal, bird or rodent, will see the bean skin on the cotyledons and grab it. Sounds like this might be what's happening. I have a similar problem with my free range chickens when I plant things outside of my fenced garden. I find that I can place a barrier, like some chicken wire over the plant, until it's established a bit. That helps. Another thing to try would be to get some large plastic cups and cut out their bottoms. Stick them over each little seedling. Perhaps if the varmint has to reach into the cup to get them, that'll deter him.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: What's getting my pole beans?

George that's an excellent idea, I'm going to file that one away and use next year. My beans are starting to climb their poles now so it looks like they're over the hump. It's been quite the spring here in the PNW, WET.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here