Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forensicmom

Sugar Snap Peas

forensicmom
14 years ago

I have planted these a few years ago and had lots of peas. Last year the groundhog and rabbits ate them before they could do anything so I gave up. This year, I planted the seeds the first week of May in a secure garden this time. They are growing great and are almost 5' tall but there are no signs of blooms or peas.

When should they be producing???

Comments (5)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Unless you're talking about a completely different zone 7 than I'm in, May is much too late to plant peas in zone 7.

I didn't put in peas this year since we were trying to improve the garden soil for the summer crops, but the information I have is to plant peas anytime from New Year's Day to March 1st and to expect them to be done and ready to pull out and replace in June at the latest.

I'm going to try planting a fall crop in August to mature in the cool of October, but peas just don't like heat and I have to say its surprising that your plants are growing as well as they are.

Given that they are doing so well, since sugar snap is 70 days, if a crop is going to happen it should be along soon.

• forensicmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I was planning to plant them at the end of March, however my new bed wasn't ready until the first week of May so I figured I would see what happened. But, I planted them as a summer crop before and they produced lots of peas for me.

I also planted lettuce, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, which I know are cold season but I bought the plants from the nursery in hopes of planting them in early April. DH had other plans, which meant my garden wasn't ready to plant in until later.

• aubade
    14 years ago

I planted my sugar snaps in early March, but they really didn't grow above a couple inches until May when the weather finally got warm, and didn't produce any peas for picking until just last week. Granted, it was unusually cool this spring, and you're in 7 while I'm in 6b. So I'm not trying to contradict that it would be better to plant them earlier - just that, in my case, even though I DID plant them in March, they still didn't really grow until May. I picked a couple handfuls last week, and then this Tues I really went to town and picked all of them that looked ripe. It has been pretty cool so far this June, so I'm hoping they'll hold out a little longer for another harvest. This is only my 2nd time growing peas though, so I don't have any more info than my little example here - I'm still trying to figure it all out myself.

• pjames
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 8 ( and it is about 90 degrees) and it looks like my sugar snaps are ready to give me my first harvest today or tomorrow. Have had nice flowers but no beans. First year for growing them so i just planted them at the same time as my green beans and romas, which have been producing like gangbusters.

• contracat58_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I"m in zone 7 with some shade through the day in my garden. My sugar pods and Alaska pea seeds were put in the ground in late February. Received two harvests. A stray pea has started growing last week and so that tells me it will soon be time to put the fall planting in. I have started trays of broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts...the point is to have them ready to eat before the first frost, because while winter crops will live through the winter, they generally stop growing after the frost. Peas won't stand the frost, so for fall, count back from the date of first estimated frost and plan to plant then. Do the same for spring harvest, count back from 80 "ish" degree weather and plant then. It's important to know your own garden. Because of the shade, I am about half a season behind, like a microclimate. Happy growing!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm