Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Eye Peas/Beans

Posted by bamagrit 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 14:11

A friend from North Carolina came to visit a couple of weeks ago and brought me a store bought bag of "Yellow Eye Peas"(so called on the package). I find what looks to be them called 'Steuben's Yellow Eye Beans' popular in the New England states. I'd like to grow some out and wonder how they'd do in the heat and humidity of Southeast Alabama? I'm goin' to plant some. Just wonderin' what to expect. Can they be used like Field Peas or are they better used as dry beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Eye Peas/Beans

There is a yellow eyed pea listed, a southern pea in the blackeye class but with yellow eyes. never encountered them myself. There are several variations of the Yellow Eyed bean. The taste, appearance of the plant,and grow habits of the southern pea and the bean are quite different. Both can be used as either shellies or dried.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Eyed Pea

o

Farmerdilla, thanks for the reply. These have a white eye surrounded by a more brown than yellow color on about a third of the bean, the rest creamy white. They look just like the pictures of the Steuben's Yellow Eye from the seed vendors. I tend to think that's what they are. I've never seen them down here in the grocery or seed stores. I've got a little space in the garden so I think I'll plant a short double row just to see what they do. If they make I'll use'em as a dry bean. It'll be fun to play around with anyway!!
By the way, the Big Boy's you recommended on another thread are doin' good and I'm lookin' forward to eatin'em later this summer.

o

Good show: You will know as soon as they come up, whether it is a pea or a bean. Foliage is quite different.

o

Yellow Eye beans are mostly used in the dry form. They are the preferred bean in certain localities of New England, especially Maine, for making baked beans. They are easy to find in grocery stores here in Massachusetts.

Jim

o

Thanks Jim, The label on these said "Yellow Eye Peas" but the size is more along the line of a Pinto bean. May be a Southern thing in calling them 'Peas';) These came from a grocery in North Carolina. I planted a couple of short rows of them yesterday just to see what they will do down here. They are a pretty bean and I hope they make.
What did you decide to plant this year in the way of Southern Peas? I've got Black Crowders, Zipper Cream, Calico Crowders, Big Boy and some Red Ripper in with my corn(which ain't doin' good).

o

No cowpeas for me this year. My garden is a plot in a community garden and the entire plot is being used for a three sisters garden this year. I had to do it just once.

Next year I will go back to a diversified garden and my cowpeas will Calico Crowders.

Jim

o

Thanks Jimster, good luck with the three sisters!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here