Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soybean plants but no bean

Posted by julieann_grow 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 14:18

I have some really healthy looking soybean plants full of pods, but no bean inside! What happened? I think I planted Misono.

Also, what is the best tasting variety of edamame? I've planted edamame before but it was "furry". I'd like a smooth bean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soybean plants but no bean

Furry??? Hopefully you mean the pods, which are not eaten; the beans are popped out with a squeeze after cooking.

Soybeans can take a long time to produce, much longer than string beans... often 80-90 days. Looking at my records, most of my soybeans bloomed somewhere around 45-55 days. The flowers & pods are very tiny at first, so they can be hard to see. My observations were for Maturity Group II & below, which are adapted for my Northern latitudes. Soybeans are daylength sensitive, so they might perform differently in SoCal.

If you haven't seen flowers in 60 days after sowing, and the leaf cover is heavy, my first suspicion would be excess nitrogen in the soil. If you have been having cooler than normal temperatures (as many have this year) that could also be responsible, since soybeans are a warm-weather crop.

The tastiest varieties I have grown so far were "Karikachi 3", "Hatsutaka", and "Tengamine", all from Sakate Seed Company in Japan. Hard to find here commercially. "Oosodefuri" (also from Sakate) is carried by Peace Seeds, and has been my highest yielder. The best tasting that I've tried from U.S. companies were "Butterbean" (from Johnny's) and "Shirofumi" (from SSE).

In your neck of the woods, you might want to try the varieties carried by Kitazawa. They could be better adapted to your climate than the varieties bred for short seasons.

o

I've never had an edamame pod that wasn't furry.

Jim

o

Thanks for the varieties list...sounds good.

The plants actually do have pods, but they are empty. Is that normal and I should just let them fill out? (it that is the case, then very different from green beans).

I suspect excess nitrogen. The other nutrient levels are fine.

o

If you have pods, you should get beans. Edamame soybean pods take a very long time to fill out, about 45-50 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here