Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

How tall do these pole beans get???

tcstoehr
15 years ago

I'm growing a row of Romano-style beans, the variety is Helda. They are definately pole climbers. I put them against a 6.5' wire fence and they quickly went to the top of that. I then erected some 12' bamboo poles, strung a string between them at about 11' high, and zig-zagged a line of twine up and down between the top of the fence and the new string at 11'. They're quick climbing up the zig-zagged strings. I have no doubt they'll soon reach the top at 11'.

And it's only June 5th! They seem like the one warm-weather crop that likes growing in our depressingly cold and dark PNW maritime(miserable) climate.

Anyway, what happens when they reach the top? Do they grow back down? Does it go sideways? Or does the vines energy get diverted away from the terminal growth tip? In which case maybe I've given them more than adequate trellis?

Comments (8)

• jimster
    15 years ago

I give the beans an eight foot trellis. Above that, they're on their own. They can be lopped off above whatever height you decide on, but I don't bother with that.

Jim

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    15 years ago

My beans are about 4" tall now. My fencing is about 3.5 to 4 feet tall. It is my first year with pole beans. Any suggestions with fencing this low? I don't want to have to buy more equipment.

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the beans I was talking about. Several vines are over 12 feet tall. Most notably the leftmost vine that is now climbing the bamboo pole after using up all of the twine.
    The picture below isn't very good. There are many blossoms on each vine but the secondary vines haven't filled in very much yet. Still amazing growth considering how cold it has been.

I'm starting to think that these vines will grow as tall as you let them. And only when they stop growing higher, or bend sideways or downwards, will energy be diverted towards branching the lower vine sprouts and filling out the pods. Kind of like fruit trees whose apical dominance discourages branching lower down.

Here's the picture. (900K JPG file)

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

If you don't really get Jack and the Bean Stalk, grow pole beans.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

One can grow really tall varieties on relatively short trellises. I have one bean which will easily go up 14'. Yet I heard of someone who actually grew it on 3' stakes and, even without poles at all! (Unless you know it'll work, I would never recommend growing pole beans without any support. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.)

Just remember that you HAVE TO PICK THEM! For that reason, I rarely give a bean more than an 8' tall pole. I'm six feet tall and can reach 8'. I don't trim the vines. Once they hit the top they loop back down and start over again. One of my favorites actually concentrates most of its' growth at the top 3' of the pole.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• emmers_m
    12 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of your 18+ foot beans, steve! (If you have one) And especially come back and post pictures of your 32 foot beans next year.

My trellis is 7ft and they certainly grow over it - I am 5 ft tall and have trouble picking high beans.

~emmers

• dlsm
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I grow two crops a year here in Florida. I plant one in February and the other in September. I can't grow them here in the summer as it gets too hot. They don't like ninty degree weather. They are my favorite green bean.

Here is a picture of my 7 foot trellis in April.

Happy gardening to all,

Luther

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource