Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

How do you prepare the variou beans you grow?

anney
14 years ago

From the introduction to the forum:
Join other aficionados for information, advice, growing tips and delicious recipes.

I think my cooking creativity is pretty cramped when it comes to cooking beans. And I don't dry any of them.

Essentially, I cook Southern peas and sometimes green beans with ham hocks. If I mix green and wax beans, I cook them until they're just tender, drain, and add salt, pepper, and butter. Small limas get cooked that way, too, until tender and add salt, pepper, and butter. The romas I cook and add a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

As you can see, my range of bean dishes is very limited.

How about some recipes?

Comments (8)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Here's a link to some of my bean recipes. Mostly, however, I steam or microwave them until just barely cooked and eat them plain.

In addition, I use beans in stir-fries and throw them into pasta sauces.

I like raw beans as snacks and salads too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Recipes

• tammysf
    14 years ago

The fine cooking magazine has a bunch of bean recipes in this months issue. They have a bunch of different kinds of beans and techniques.

I bet their website has the recipes but I am on blavkberry so can't link right now.

• mauirose
    14 years ago

this turns long bean into a meal (with rice)

Mix 1/4 c. water with T fish sauce and tsp sugar. Fry up two or three cloves of minced garlic with 1 or 3 tsp. red curry paste. Add several handfuls of choppped long bean and stirfry about 2 minutes. Add the sauce and a cup or so of diced, fried tofu. Should be done after another minutes or two of cooking. Garnish with thai basil and serve over rice.

i used to have a recipe for a green bean indian curry with tomatoes that was delicious but i can't find it and i can't seem to recreate it. Sigh.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

My favorite way......I just steam mine or boil till crisp tender and toss into a pan that has olive oil that I have sauteed garlic in and stir fry for a couple of minutes.

But I have to admit that you can't beat the boiling the beans with bacon, bacon fat or ham hocks....pass the cornbread..yum

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mauirose

That sounds like a great recipe!

Most of us Southern bean-lovers do like many kinds of beans cooked with ham, maybe because they're prepared that way all over and we've eaten them that way most of our lives. My aunt used to prepare meals that were only ham hocks, tiny new potatoes, and green beans. With cornbread and iced tea, Ruthie!

In winter we also like beef stew that includes beans, corn, okra, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and beef stock. And whatever else I might have on hand that doesn't change the basic taste of the stew with those ingredients (like adding zucchini or other squash, but no green peppers!).

And we also love succotash made with fresh corn cut off the cob and small limas (butterbeans). Just butter, salt, and pepper on those.

I was just curious about how people who actually grow beans and know their fresh texture and taste characteristics prepare them to eat.

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clicked on your recipe link. Thanks for posting it. That Sesame-Garlic bean recipe looks like a nice variation of "regular" bean recipes!

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

You're welcome.

90% of the time I just cook the vegetables and eat them. But sometimes you want something a little fancier.

:-)

• trsinc
    14 years ago

I do lots of things with different kinds of dried and fresh shelley beans. Like beans and greens (use pinto, crowder, black eyes, etc. with your favorite green cooked in the bean pot - add hot peppers, onion, bacon or sausage and serve over rice with lots of juice. Corn bread on the side of course). You can skip the rice if you want.

I also like to make different bean soups with the usual dried or shelley beans.

When I make green beans I always make extra so I can later make Cream of Green Bean soup. Sounds gross but it tastes similar to Asparagus soup if you like that. Just whir the g. beans up in a F.P. or blender, pour in pot, add milk to taste (when you get the taste right, if it is still too thick add water to thin). I use 1 or 2 percent milk but any will do. Heat and eat.

Another good green bean recipe came from a Jewish cookbook I have. Basically fill a pot with fresh green beans, salt, pepper, 4 allspice berries(dried), onion and garlic to taste, and water. Mix it up and insert a small beef roast. Simmer until roast and beans are tender. The beans seem to have a tenderizing effect on the roast. It tastes wonderful. Throw a few potatoes in and you've got a meal!.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths