Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaneden_gw

i have pods on my peas!!!!

susaneden
15 years ago

And tons of pods, too! It's as if the ones that did not get slaughtered by the neighbor's weed whacker are trying to make up for the lost production, and making pods like crazy. I have never seen so many pods on my plants :D

Just wanted to chare :D

Comments (4)

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

What kind did you plant? The sugar Ann I have came in a week ago and are still coming. The others snap and shelling types are just now coming in.
    I am in a gardening renaissance period now that I have land to do it in. I had done peas before but not the edible pod types. The sugar anns are fantastic and flexible. The pod types need to be picked precisely at the right time between 24-48 hours but these may be picked early or when the peas have developed. I planted 3 types of sampler quantity this spring but I am considering a larger sugar ann main crop in the fall.
    The advantages I have found with this variety are.

1. Edible pods mean more edible fruit with no shelling.
    2. Long harvest window means one can pick mostly pods or sweeter pea filled pods or both). My typical variety peas became starchy if I did not pick quickly(make soup).
    3 Early 55 day self supporting dwarfs( thus minimal short trellising used possibly only to anchor first and last row if at all. .) They beat snap peas by a week though I will have to see the eventual harvest since the snap peas are bigger plants.
    4. I consider them better than any green bean I have grown.

So anyone looking to try peas can grow these as an early spring bush bean

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, Solanaceae :D

I am growing Sugar Ann, too--very nice crop and so sweet! The Thomas Laxtons are in too, earlier than the Anns and farther along. I have ton of Little Marvel podding up nicely, too.

The Aldermans and Super Sugar Snaps got weedwhacked by my neighbor, so they are now going to have to be a fall crop :D

All my Alaskas got weedwhacked by the same guy, but the only real appeal there would have been their earliness (they were blooming when he eliminated the "weeds" from my fence). Trellised weeds?!?

Interestingly, the laxtons when very, very young have a very tender pod too, almost like a sugar snap if you can catch them then). I do like them more as a shelling pea, though I can't seem to stay away from the baby pods :D

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

They were trellised? I hope it looked like a fence. I could imagine maybe a fence. If I had done that I would still be squirming in shame. I am no landscaper but I have a pretty good idea about the weed population in my area. There are few vining weeds especially ones lucky enough to have some fool trellis them.
    Glad you were not wiped out. You still sound like you have more then I have but I am working on the space.

I suppose you can think of it as green manure since turning them under is a net nitrogen gain. I suppose that rings as hollow as when I tell my Siberian native wife that turnips are mangoes of Siberia.

• susaneden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL!!!! The mangoes of Siberia? That's cute! After the crime, he did carry the victims over to my compose pile--I am just hoping I get a good fall crop of Aldermans, having never grown them for fall planting.

Actually, space is an issue over here, which is why my peas are along a fence on netting. They do quite well there, if they are left alone to grow. I like the Aldermans because they are pole peas (grow VERY tall) and long-yielding. You can also eat them early as snap peas, but are great shell peas too--I like the dual-purpose. Also, since they take as much ground space as a dwarf or standard pea (only requiring twice as much space growing upwards), I feel like I am getting more peas for the space invested in growing them. You should try them out

:D just beware of well-meaning but not so bright neighbors armed with string trimmers!!!!!

Sponsored