Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green beans producing, but very short plants

Posted by jpc57 coastal Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 15:38

I am stumped about my green beans this year; they usually grow to about 2 feet or so but this year are very short; about 8-9 inches. The plants have mature green beans, just not very many of them. We had a cool, wet spring. Plants are planted in full sun. Blue Lake variety.

I'm in coastal Virginia, not far from the Chesapeake Bay. Plants are in a raised bed, grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. I do amend the soil with compost--should I add compost to top dress?

I'm thinking of planting a second batch, but will have to sacrifice the eggplant seedlings. Any idea what could stunt the growth of the green beans plants, so that I can correct any problems with the second planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green beans producing, but very short plants

Beans are weak nitrogen producers. Based on your description, it is likely they are nitrogen deficient. There are other possibilities such as nematodes, etc.

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 4:44

They need some type of fertilizer. You live close to the coast and the soil just don't have the elements needed for growth.

Luther

o

I was having the same problem!!! Did a home soil test and came out that I was very low in NPK added fertilizer and some of them pulled threw and started looking great. Now they are looking weak again so I fert. again today. So I would say you need to fert. But mine that went a long time with out me fertilizing never did grow much taller than 7 in. but luckily I realized what was going on in time and the 2nd secession I planted came threw

o

Same issue here with same variety up in southern maine. A few others I know same thing same variety. Not good year for them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here