Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pale Peas

Posted by geodesic CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 15:47

Hi there,

I am new to gardening and planted my first vegetables this year in a raised bed. Lots of things seem to be growing very well, but the two varieties of pea I planted (Pisum sativum var sativum and "green arrow") seem to have the same problem - despite growing they both have very pale leaves and stalks.

I also have a serious problem with mushrooms - they are taking over the bed. Everything I've read seems to suggest that they shouldn't bother the plants, but i'm not sure it can be true in this case - after they pop up they turn into a black goo which coats the lower leaves and stalks of the plants. This has killed some seedlings, and I'm sure it can't be good for the larger ones.

Any ideas about how to deal with either of these problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pale Peas

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 20:37

geodesic, I would get rid of the mushrooms and the pale plants is a indication of a lack of fertilizer, mainly nitrogen. Do you have some type of carbon material in your raised bed that is depleting the nitrogen?

Luther

o

New to gardening...have you studied up on what to do to make the soil fertile and loose? Have you worked some bags of additives like aged manure and compost into your soil before planting? That can make a big difference in plant growth. Mushrooms and mold show a really wet soil, OR the soil you used in your beds was from a mushroom farm which will sprout mushrooms. I hope you solve the mystery.

o

I think some peas have light pale green color naturally. But if they are somewhat yellow then they need more Nitrogen. A 10-10-10 granular can help them to have better foliage, better root system and eventually produce more peas. If it were leafy green I would feed then just some N-0 -0.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here