Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to tell when peanuts are ready to dig

Posted by lakedallasmary 7/8a - north texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 15:58

from this site I found this info:

"Determining the ripeness of the peanut crop can be challenging. Commercial growers have hundreds of peanut plants and simply pull up several plants to examine the peanuts inside the shell as a test.

If you have only one or two peanut plants, here's what you do: Wiggle your finger into the soil at the base of the plant's tap root until you can feel a peanut pod, which will be quite soft until it is dried. Now, carefully lift it with a pulling motion. If the peanut pod breaks off the peg easily, that's a good sign. Next, open the pod and examine the peanuts inside. If their color is white to pale pink and watery, give the plant another two weeks. It's common for the peanuts to ripen at different times, so it's best to allow a little more time when most of the peanuts will be ripe. "

here's another site which gives ripeness info that follows

"Select three or four plants at random from the garden and lift them from the soil, taking care that the pods remain attached to the plant. Remove all pods and break them open. Examine the color of the seed coat and the inside of the hull. Pods that are not filled by the kernel are too young; pods with a dark internal hull color are over mature. Dig the peanuts when most of the pods are within this range or when you just cannot wait any longer. Some people prefer more mature, firmer boiled peanuts, while others like mushy, less mature kernels.

Dry, roasting peanuts can be harvested in 130 to 150 days after planting or when at least 65 percent of the pods have turned dark inside the hull and the seed coats are pink to red in color. Immature seed coats are white to pale pink.

Another test for maturity is to scrape the middle or "saddle" of the outside of the pod with a knife. The peanuts can be harvested for roasting when 40 percent of the pods have a dark brown to black color in the scraped area. As peanuts mature, the hull color in this scraped-away saddle area changes from white to yellow, orange to brown, and then to black.

If pod stems are weak so that pods come off the plants easily when they are lifted from the soil or if the plants have yellowed up and lost most of their leaves, harvesting should begin at once, regardless of the percentage showing a dark hull or seed coat color."

how to cook boiled peanuts

looks yummy to me. I hope I can get peanuts planted this year. So far the ground has been too wet. I may have to wait till next year. Soil is plenty warm, but we have been getting tons of rain for the last two months and 9 more days predicted. Probably more but the forecast does not go out that far!

I read it takes 90-100 days to get peanuts to green stage. to you peanut growers out there. Is that about right? This will be my first time growing peanuts. Our first frost is November 15. The two varieties I have are Carolina black ad red Tennessee Valencia seed package says 110 days to maturity, so when do I did them up for green? It seems to be a guessing game from what I have read.

Feel free to post your way of telling when to dig for boiling and when to dig for roasting, or feeding the birds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to tell when peanuts are ready to dig

One of the way to judge ripening of peanuts is to look for symptoms of senescence.This is the indication that plants have been matured and are near the death.At this time plant's leaves will change color into yellowish brown and finally plant will die in few days after this.Pull out the plants at this time for fully matured peanuts.

o
RE: how to tell when peanuts are ready to dig

Most of the above is close enough but please remember that peanuts come in other colors besides red. I grow black peanuts and love the sweet nutty flavor. fyi, you can find them at www.sandhillpreservation.com

Peanuts set over a period of time with a limited set early, full crown set next, then nuts set on the expanded branches. Harvest them when most of the crown set is mature for best results in most of the USA. Note that some peanuts will continue growing and won't "die" as mentioned above.

One of the recent developments in the peanut world is the high oleic peanut.

Fusion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here