Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

how to tell when peanuts are ready to dig

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

from this site I found this info:

"Determining the ripeness of the peanut crop can be challenging. Commercial growers have hundreds of peanut plants and simply pull up several plants to examine the peanuts inside the shell as a test.

If you have only one or two peanut plants, here's what you do: Wiggle your finger into the soil at the base of the plant's tap root until you can feel a peanut pod, which will be quite soft until it is dried. Now, carefully lift it with a pulling motion. If the peanut pod breaks off the peg easily, that's a good sign. Next, open the pod and examine the peanuts inside. If their color is white to pale pink and watery, give the plant another two weeks. It's common for the peanuts to ripen at different times, so it's best to allow a little more time when most of the peanuts will be ripe. "

here's another site which gives ripeness info that follows

"Select three or four plants at random from the garden and lift them from the soil, taking care that the pods remain attached to the plant. Remove all pods and break them open. Examine the color of the seed coat and the inside of the hull. Pods that are not filled by the kernel are too young; pods with a dark internal hull color are over mature. Dig the peanuts when most of the pods are within this range or when you just cannot wait any longer. Some people prefer more mature, firmer boiled peanuts, while others like mushy, less mature kernels.

Dry, roasting peanuts can be harvested in 130 to 150 days after planting or when at least 65 percent of the pods have turned dark inside the hull and the seed coats are pink to red in color. Immature seed coats are white to pale pink.

Another test for maturity is to scrape the middle or "saddle" of the outside of the pod with a knife. The peanuts can be harvested for roasting when 40 percent of the pods have a dark brown to black color in the scraped area. As peanuts mature, the hull color in this scraped-away saddle area changes from white to yellow, orange to brown, and then to black.

If pod stems are weak so that pods come off the plants easily when they are lifted from the soil or if the plants have yellowed up and lost most of their leaves, harvesting should begin at once, regardless of the percentage showing a dark hull or seed coat color."

how to cook boiled peanuts

looks yummy to me. I hope I can get peanuts planted this year. So far the ground has been too wet. I may have to wait till next year. Soil is plenty warm, but we have been getting tons of rain for the last two months and 9 more days predicted. Probably more but the forecast does not go out that far!

I read it takes 90-100 days to get peanuts to green stage. to you peanut growers out there. Is that about right? This will be my first time growing peanuts. Our first frost is November 15. The two varieties I have are Carolina black ad red Tennessee Valencia seed package says 110 days to maturity, so when do I did them up for green? It seems to be a guessing game from what I have read.

Feel free to post your way of telling when to dig for boiling and when to dig for roasting, or feeding the birds

Comments (2)

Sponsored