Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Differentiating between peas-Rookie mistake!

Posted by scartyBEEvens none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 16:10

Hello there! This is my first year as a veggie-gardener. Back in March I planted Burpee shelling peas and snap peas. Like a rookie, I was certain I'd remember which kind of pea I planted in which bed...BUT that was not the case.

Right now, one bed of pea plants are about 4' tall, the others are maybe 2.5'-3' tall. Both are blossoming, and one bed has produced peas. They look an awful lot like snap peas, but is there a sure-fire way to tell if they are going to grow into shelling peas? From my other research it seems like all peas start out looking like little snap peas. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Differentiating between peas-Rookie mistake!

When you eat a whole pod of mature snap peas, the pod walls are not fibrous. Eat a shelling pea pod and peas - taste is still delicious! - but you end up with a mouth full of fibre from the pods.

Yes very young shelling peas can be eaten as snow peas, because this fibre only develops when the peas inside the pod develop, but as soon as the pods are a little more mature, it becomes very obvious which type is which.

o
RE: Differentiating between peas-Rookie mistake!

Make a diagram of your veggie garden when planting each year so you can remember.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here