Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

They're saying we're having the coldest June on record:(

How's the weather been for the rest of you? I started ALL my beans in the greenhouse this year, sure glad I did because I don't think I would of had great germination outside. A few are either flowering or just about too and the 'Comtesse de Chambord' in hanging baskets have tiny beans on them.

The 'Siberian Pole' I planted in a different part of the garden are looking really good and I can see flowers are not far off. I gave the 'Gigandes' a bit of fertilizer today, lots of flowers but not very many leaves, it's as if they weren't getting enough light, oh well if they produce some beans I'll be a happy camper.

The only pea I planted this year is 'Shiraz' they grew gangbusters, the short row I planted is loaded with flowers and small pods. This one is really crunchy and very tasty I think the only ones that'll make it inside are the ones I'm keeping for seed :).

Annette

Comments (4)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

It's been a really odd Spring here. Very early warm-up, then late frost warnings for the northern part of the state (the last one was last week), then 80's-90's again. The whole month of June so far has been dry in my part of the state except for a few sprinkles, we are way behind in rainfall, while the northwestern part of the state is around 300% of normal. It's almost been like gardening in SoCal, sunny, warm, and dry every day. Personally, I like that, since I was able to work in the garden every day & got everything in. But then, I irrigate; for those who depend upon rainfall for their gardens (like Denninmi) it is a disaster. All the local farmers got their crops in much earlier than normal due to the April warmup, but might lose them if we don't get rain soon.

Just the opposite of recent years, when we were so wet we hardly went 3 days in a row during May & June without a downpour. Just goes to show how the weather tends to balance out over time... which is the difference between weather and climate.

• rxkeith
    11 years ago

weather here has been similar to what zeedman says. we have had some high 80 degree days here already. that doesn't usually happen that early here. there is still always a chance of frost warnings well into june. had some rain recently, but could use more. most of my pole beans were started in doors after last years fiasco. had very good germination this time.

keith

• plantslayer
    11 years ago

In Seattle we had a lovely May. My tomato plants grew quickly inside their hoop house until I had no choice but to remove it in mid June, because the leaves were touching the plastic and started to go bad. And a week after I do that, I get temps back in the low 60s and lots of rain, just in time to prevent fruit set. Sometimes I dream about living in other places just to see how awesome my garden would be there...

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Miserable over here too. Floods in some places with 5 inches of rain in 2 hours. On Midsummer's Day evening I went to an open air performance - big long raincoat with quilted vest underneath, sheepskin gloves and scarf. Woman opposite me was actually wearing a fur hat. June in England ;-) Peas OK but runner beans looking unhappy - pale and scraggly and only 4 feet up their poles. Bush beans just breaking the surface.

Sponsored