Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why? they don't they look like fortex at all

Posted by pennypond z9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 17:03

Please help me to solve a puzzle.

What happened to my bean plants? I planted fortex seeds (purchased from Johnny's three month ago), but the beans turned out looking like Tennessee cutshort to me. Why is it? Did I pick them too young (the reference is a quarter)?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I'm still very happy with the taste of the beans :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why? they don't they look like fortex at all

Most likely someone dipped seeds from the wrong bin. They look more like Johnny's Garden of Eden. Certainly not picked too young. I am assuming that they are actually pole beans.

o

Thank you for your fast reply, Farmerdill. I quickly went online to look at Johnny's Garden of Eden picture. You're right that it certainly looks that way. Is it too late to order and plant some true fortex in southern California now?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Here is my plants, a bit wilted in the hot sun

o

Looking good. I don't know your climate. It is too hot for common beans in Georgia during July. sometimes planting them in mid- August for fall harvests works.

o

Just curious where you got the seed from? I'm growing a row of Fortex beans for seed to send to Sandhill Preservation. They are about a week from being ready to harvest. I've grown Fortex since 1988 and maintained my seed since then.

DarJones

o

Pennypond. Johnny's is a pretty good company. let them know you got the wrong seeds and I bet they will send you Fortex at no charge along with an apology.

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 9:26

Pennypond, I plant a late trellis of Fortex in July each summer. The possible issue in your area could be high temperatures.

o

Thank you for all of your replies. I have happily grown fortex for several years because it's always healthy, productive and tasty. Johnny's said they are sending replacement seeds, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a true crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here